Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
KaneMBB
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: telstra
Accepted Solution

Torch 9800 my email wont work via wifi

I have just sync my new torch from my old bold. All info transfered perfectly including my 2 email accounts.

I have the misfortune of living in a 2G only area on remote Island. SMS, phone calls and wifi only. I had my old Bold working through wifi hot spots onto my gmail account and it was sending and receiving emails just fine but the torch just keeps saying 'activation failed. A service connection is unavailable' each time I try to activate the account.

Seems as though it wont work through wifi, i can surf the net with no problems 

Any Ideas?  

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Torch 9800 my email wont work via wifi

Turn off the WiFi connection, and go to an area where you have a clear 2G connection (EDGE) and do the following:

On your BlackBerry device, go to:

1. Options > Advanced > Host Routing Table > Menu > Register.

2. Resend your service books from your carrier BIS site:
From your handheld device:   http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15402

Go to the Personal Email Set Up icon and log in. Then under Help!, select Service Books, then select Send service Books.

From your desktop PC:  http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02830
North American Carriers - scroll down to select your carrier
WorldWide Carriers - Find your carrier on the list

3. With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot. This reboot, even if you have already done this, is often needed to install the service books.

Then, this should install the required Service Books to the Torch, and you should be able to perform all data services over WiFi as you have been in the past.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KaneMBB
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: telstra

Thanks for your help. worked perfect 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PhxCowboy
My Device: Torch 9850

Hi JSanders!

I have a Torch 9850 with a simliar issue.  I am traveling in the middle east for work, however the Torch is my personal phone.  I have been here in Abu Dhabi for the past 6 months and my email on the Torch has been working fine until a few days ago.  I have had the data services on the phone turned off the entire duration of my stay here, as roaming data charges with Verizon for this country are off the charts...

Anyway, I tried following the instructions you left for the Torch 9800 user here, however, I could not get the Service Books to send to me.

Any advice?

Jack

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PhxCowboy

and by "working fine" I mean receiving and sending emails via WiFI as opposed to network data services... Everything else, browser, Facebook, weather, etc. are all working fine via WiFi
Please use plain text.
JSanders

You can try the Verizon BIS account login, from your PC.

or

this, from your BlackBerry Browser:
• Go to mobile.blackberry.com OR to www.blackberry.com/integrate
• Scroll down to Communication and then to Email.
• Choose the appropriate email set up options. I believe you will then choose Service Books, if not, then click on HELP and Send Service Books (I just don't recall offhand the exact process there).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PhxCowboy

OK-

I got the updated Service Books, re-registered it with the WiFi switched off, and re-booted the phone.  I am still not able to send or receive emails via WIFi.  I am still able to send/receive when connected to the cell network.  I'm sure this is a setting somewhere that I have messed up as it worked on the 'WiFi only' connectivity from June 22 to Nov 1, but it is no longer working...

I have called the Verizon support center several times, and they have been unable to diagnose.  They even transferred me to RIM, who told me the issue is with Verizon.

This is baffling....   Any other ideas?  I'm here in the Middle East for another 6 weeks this year, and without access to emails, its going to be a long haul...

Jack

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Jack, check your Mobile Network settings > Data Services. What do you see there?

Data Services should be ON.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.