Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Torch 9800 reboot issue

This morning, I permitted an upgrade on three apps to be done on my Torch 9800 (Navita Translator, CTV News Cottage Traffic & GPS Logger).

After the app upgrades were finished, I was prompted to reboot the device which I did. However, the reboot has not completed.

The booting bar reaches roughly a 3/4 point and then restarts the boot. This has been going on for well over an hour now.

Any suggestions or solution would help greatly appreciated!!!!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Torch 9800 reboot issue

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. 

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion but I am frustrated!! I have tried the reboot in safe mode process (as outlined in the Torch 9800 manual) numerous times where you insert the battery, wait till the LED goes out, press & hold the Escape key till the Dialog appears and then click OK. However, the load has yet to go to the point where the Dialog appears so that I can click on OK. Am I missing something in the process as your reply indicated a Press/Release/Hold method which is not what the manual indicates. Can you explain your method further or can you suggest any other approach? Thanks!!
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

My example was from personal experience with a specific device (a 9550, as I recall). What I discovered was that sometimes you have to vary from the documented method. In my case, it was to wait until the touch screen was functional, hold the ESC through about 50% of the loading bar, let go, wait until about 80% and then hold/release the ESC key again. YMMV, and you should try variations.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback again sdgardne!! I will take your advice and try some variations. It is too bad that the prescribed BlackBerry Torch 9800 method doesn't work the way it is supposed to - wonder if RIM really has any interest in resolving things at this point? Thanks again for your direction and I'll let you know how my variations work out.