Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: bmobile

Torch 9800 ribbon and speaker problem

I need some assistance clarifying an issue. My speaker for my torch 9800 was not working when i recieved phone calls and only via speaker phone I could've talked. This was the only problem i was having. I took the phone for repairs by someone and they told me that the ribbon was going bad and thats what was causing the speaker to not function. However, upon getting the phone back not only was my 1st problem not rectified but now my touch screen is not working at all. So what I do want to know is, is that even remotely possible that the ribbon affects the speaker or did he himself damage the ribbon? I would like this clarified ASAP please because I am comtemplating taking this further....

New Contributor
My Device: Torch -9800
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Torch 9800 ribbon and speaker problem

The LCD flex ribon which opeartes between slider and handset make the sound transfer between speaker and handset. I just had a problem of not being able to talk through handset but through speaker. I took it to the shop and they changed the ribon and works ok now. Changing the ribon should not have caused touch screen being damaged,

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: bmobile

ok thank you
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

The service tech did not properly service the phone from what I understand. The parts cannot be fixed. They must be changed. Some techs will try to re-solder at the break points if possible, or use chemical cleaners in the case of corrosion. Replacement of parts is the proper fix.

Jerry G.
Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Digicel

Hello,

Does the same flex ribbon affects the screen too? I have the exact problem with the handset, I can only make and receive calls using the speaker. but just last night the screen went black, the keyboard is still lit up but nothing from the screen when i slide up, only in regular position. can changing the flex ribbon of the torch 9800 fix this problem?