Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Visitor
kytham
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Torch 9800 shutdown when on 3G

Hi, Been searching a solution. Hope this will help...

I hv been using the Torch 9800 for about 1.5 yr. Recently, it started to shutdown unexpectedly, evenif battery is still at 90% or so. Here are the my current config:

6.0 Bundle 862 (v6.0.0284, Platform 6.4.0.120)

3G Bands 1,2,5,6

The most recent Apps update was Facebook (3.1.0.17). But the issue started just before the last Facebook update. I have minimum apps downloaded (<10), and I do not download music etc. Did a SW update check and got a confirmation that the Torch SWs are all up to date (from Phone/Software Updates). Storage is about 50% filled for both buit-in & media card. 

Most of the shutdown happen unexpectedly. No warning or whatsoever. There were a couple of incident where there was a brief msg pops up indicating the battery power is drained. 

While debugging the issue, I notice that the shutdown only happen when I was on 3G. Knowing that 3G consume more power, I suspect it could be a battery issue. But serching online, it doesn't seem necessary a battery issue. I do not want to spend $$ on a new battery and not solving the problem. The physical appearence of the batter looks perfectly good (no deformation or any sort).

For the past one week or so, after the device was shut down. I normally do a battery pull. But it didn't help at all. After leaving the battery out for a minute or so, and the long reboot, once on 3G, it will go down again within a minute or so. If I turn off the 3G immediately after boot up, and continue to use WiFI, then it will stay on. But once I turn 3G back on, it will go down again, especially when I running the browser. 

Hope you can help... 

Retired
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Torch 9800 shutdown when on 3G

Hey kytham,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

To determine if this a software issue, I suggest performing all the steps in this KB article and test out the 3G prior to restoring any data: www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11320

If the issue persists, then I suggest you contact your network service provider for repair/exchange options.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!