Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
EdTam
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Torch 9800 touch screen only works when slid open.

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post but I've been lurking the forum for some time. I'm running a Torch 9800 on AT&T right now on v6.0.0.600

This is what's happened with my phone: as the subject notes, my touch screen only seems to work when I slide open the phone.

What I've tried so far that doesn't work: rolling back software, rolling the software forward again, hard resets, soft resets, adjusting intervals for the touch screen.

The weird part is that I saw an older thread that had the exact opposite problem(touch screen only worked when the phone was slid closed). I have a level/ruler app for my phone and it's showing that the phone knows when it's tilted/angle/orientation. I've also closed the phone, opened it slightly (about the width of my thumb) and it stays horizontally oriented + I'm able to use the touch keyboard that way.

Anybody have a suggestion as to what I can try next to fix this? I haven't gone so far as to just go and get a 9810 yet, but i'm considering it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gordonmcg
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Telecom NZ

Re: Torch 9800 touch screen only works when slid open.

Hello EdTam,

This is the same problem that I have right now. Did you manage to get it fixed. My 9800 keys and screen do not work unless I open the slide, then I cannot use  the touch keypad etc.

Regards

Gordon

Please use plain text.
pratikgandhi
My Device: BB Torch 9800
My Carrier: Airtel

I am also facing the same problem. Any way to get this thing working.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Battyroberts
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Vodafone

Very bizarre, this has started happening to me as of today. I must say I'm finding these new faults really frustrating! I logged on to see if anyone had replied about the screen/curser constantly jumping about in daylight. Come on Blackberry!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
EdTam
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi everyone, I've pretty much deduced the problem: there's something crappy about the connection between the screen and the rest of the body. I can't think of any better way to describe it.

How I fixed it temporarily: flip open the phone and see if you can wiggle the screen side to side. After some wiggling and jiggling, you can close the phone up to see if it works. For me, it works about 80% of the time. Yes, this is ghetto. No, this isn't a guanranteed fix.

Sucks. I like the torch design but I don't want to get a 9810 since I've heard it's not that much better.
Please use plain text.
pratikgandhi
My Device: BB Torch 9800
My Carrier: Airtel

Even I started facing this problem only yesterday. My phone is not booting any more. The red reboot LED just keeps blinking eternally, not rebooting it. I re-installed the OS 6 and nothing changed, it has to be a hardware problem!! Let me know if anyone finds what it is, because taking it to the Blackberry service center can be painful here in India if you don't know the problem.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wstt
My Carrier: ATT

I'm having this same problem now. Did anyone figure out any fixes for it?

I can't believe so many people with the same problem and no solution.

Did everyone just get a new phone?  

Please use plain text.
Developer
ben1107
My Device: Z10, Playbook
My Carrier: Econet

Thanks for the post.

Has it in anyway fallen or pressed hard at any point? It could be the belt, which would just need you to go with it to a certified repair center and get it secured.
Twitter: @IAmBenGiey | Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

Try my apps:
The Ultimate Currency Converter and T2G - BloGFeed
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wstt
My Carrier: ATT

I should also mention that if someone calls me, the screen doesn't light up at all so I can't see who's calling.  The only way to see is to open the slider so the screen comes on. Once open the phone works perfectly.  Then when I shut the slider the phone screen stays on, but the touch screen or touchpad don't work.  Finally with it closed, if I hit any of the bottom buttons (talk, end, blackberry, or back), the phone doesn't light up at all or react at all. However, if I hit the unlock button at the top with the slider closed, the screen doesn't come on, but the bottom button backlighing (talk, end, blackberry...) does actually come on, just not the screen.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ben1107
My Device: Z10, Playbook
My Carrier: Econet

That should be the problem with the belt. Please visit your nearest and trusted BlackBerry repair centre to get it fixed.

Twitter: @IAmBenGiey | Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

Try my apps:
The Ultimate Currency Converter and T2G - BloGFeed
Please use plain text.