Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 6.0 bundle 2921
Accepted Solution

Torch 9800 unable to connect to Wi-Fi

When I set up my Torch 9800 to connect to Wi-Fi, the home screen reports the SSID of the access point, but when I attempt to use the browser, it reports "Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later."

The "Device and Status Info" screen reports the WLAN IP Address as 0.0.0.0.

My wireless access point reports that the BB device is "on", and is assigned an IP address (192.168.2.17).

At one point my initial screen reported that three updates were available.  However, each time that I clicked on a line offering an update, an error message reported that "The data service is not operational", and the message about the update went away.

Snooping with Wireshark show that, when the BB is turned on, an ISAKMP tunnel is established between the BB device (at address 192.168.2.17) and segw.uma.rogers.com (at 74.198.30.49), so there is absolutely nothing wrong with the physical wireless connection.  (My cellular supplier is Rogers.)

My BB was received (brand new) in early April 2012, and I updated the device from 6.0 bundle 695 to 6.0 bundle 2921 on 2012-04-12, after installing the Desktop Software on my PC.  (The Desktop Software offered the update, so I just did it; I was not even aware of this community until later.)

Any help in resolving this problem will be appreciated!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Torch 9800 unable to connect to Wi-Fi

However, each time that I clicked on a line offering an update, an error message reported that "The data service is not operational", and the message about the update went away.

That will happen on some updates as it can not be done over wifi and only with a regular BB data connection.

Are you able to surf the inter net?

do you ever get a BB logo next to wifi?

Are you running 2.4 ghz N? 5 ghz is not supported and some routers get confused with this.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

knottyrope wrote:

However, each time that I clicked on a line offering an update, an error message reported that "The data service is not operational", and the message about the update went away.

That will happen on some updates as it can not be done over wifi and only with a regular BB data connection.

Are you able to surf the inter net?

<jwa> No.

do you ever get a BB logo next to wifi?

<jwa>If you are talking about the top of the home screen, no I never saw anything like that.

Are you running 2.4 ghz N? 5 ghz is not supported and some routers get confused with this.

<jwa>No, I am running G.  I have two different "G" access points in the house, and they both show the same.  Also, the "free Wi-Fi" at the local mall gives exactly the same result---I cannot surf the web, and the IP address is reported as 0.0.0.0, even though the SSID of the "free Wi-Fi" is shown on the home screen.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

are you able to surf the internet with wifi off?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

I have no data plan (yet), so I have no idea whether this would work or not.

Guru III
My Device:

oh, there is some issue with surfing with out a data plan

did you but it new or used?

New Contributor

I received it as a prize in a contest run by Rogers (my cellular supplier).  When I called Rogers, their help line person said that they were there to support the cellular part of the service, and that I had to contact the device manufacturer to deal with Wi-Fi problems.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

[ Edited ]

jwatwood wrote:

"... and that I had to contact the device manufacturer to deal with Wi-Fi problems."

That's a new one to me.  Way to go with the customer support, Rogers! 

And what if your browser didn't work at all?  That's not cellular, that's internet.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

knottyrope wrote:

oh, there is some issue with surfing with out a data plan

How do I go about determining what "some issue" is, and how to resolve it?

New Contributor

BillJ wrote:

jwatwood wrote:

"... and that I had to contact the device manufacturer to deal with Wi-Fi problems."

That's a new one to me.  Way to go with the customer support, Rogers! 

And what if your browser didn't work at all?  That's not cellular, that's internet.  :smileyhappy:

That gave me the clue.  After poking around in the various screens of the phone, I realized that setting "Data Services" under "Mobile Network" to "off" would turn off *all* data services, including Wi-Fi.  This opens me to charges on the cellular data link, but the default on my "Pay-as-you-Go" plan is to ask me for money before allowing access (and that only for browsing), so as long as I don't open the browser outside of my home and my work, I will be OK.

Thanks for the hint.