Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Malteravn
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Torch 9800 won't boot, but is noticed by PC.

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to RIM, but as my father got a secondhand blackberry from my grandfather the other day, he encountered some weird problems, which i can't seem to figure out.

The phone has been working perfectly until now, and i'm not sure which operator my grandfather used for it, as he lives in Northern Ireland, but frequently does buisnesstrips all over the world and propably use several diferent operators. 
The thing is that as we got it, we couldn't get it to boot, and as we plugged it into the powersupply the red light turned on for approx. 30 secs, before it turned off, and showed no signs of charging at all. If we unplugged it and plugged it in again, it did the same - light for 30 secs, then shut off.

We thought it might be a problem with the batery, so we bought a new (original) one, and tried again, but the same problem occured. 

Afterwards i plugged it into my pc, and it notices that there is something plugged in, but shortly after gives an error-tone, and half a minute later unplugs again. It does this repedetly, and has probably done this five times as i've been writing this.

Each time the error-tone shows up, the red charging-light turns on, but as it unplugs it turns off. 

I am pretty skilled with both hardware and software, but have never had anything to do with RIM and Blackberry. 

If anyone has experienced this before, or have any idea what the problem might be, some help would be nice! 

Finally, sorry for my bad english, it's not my primary language.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Torch 9800 won't boot, but is noticed by PC.

You'll want to get it recognized by BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Once it's plugged in to that, you can do things such as update the OS, etc.  First things first, if you don't have BDS installed on your PC, visit www.blackberry.com/desktop .

Now, have a look at the following article from RIM.  It'll tell you what to do if your phone cannot be recognized by BDS:

www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144 .

Let us know if that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Malteravn

Re: Torch 9800 won't boot, but is noticed by PC.

[ Edited ]

Hi again. 
I installed the software and tried to connect the device.
It keeps connecting and disconnecting - and i don't see it showing up in device manager - even though it does refresh each time it connects. 
As i try to connect via the program, a message appears:
"Blackberry desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device."

When i press Update, it starts, and starts loading (meanwhile the device keeps connecting and disconnecting).

But as it is almost half way, an error message appears saying that i have to reconnect the device.
I still can power on the phone, and the battery has been carging for more than 24 hours.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Malteravn

UPDATE: Torch 9800 won't boot, but is noticed by PC.

There has been an interesting development

As i plugged it into the wallcharger, i timed the red light to be on for approx 27 secs, then off for 17, then on, and of again and again with the same interval.

The weird thing happens as i unplug the phone - it continues blinking, but now with an interval of 17/17 secs in stead of 27/17.... Eventually (after maby 10 reps) it stops.
When i plug it into the pc the interval becomes 13/17 instead.  - This also mean that it unplugs each 13 secs, which makes it impossible to install anything on the phone.
It still won't boot in any of the cases. 

Please use plain text.