Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
DrHarryT
My Device: Torch 9800

Torch 9800 wont boot, screen is black

I have a Torch 9800 I am looking at for my old boss, He says was on the phone and it dropped the call. Powered off? but re-booted and a few minutes later shut down. Ever since wont turn on, screen just stays black with red light flashing 12 sec on and 15 sec off. You can hear the computer connecting and disconnecting with the red light cycling when you connect it via USB. BBDM sees the phone but wont connect, you can see in the lower right connect to phone also cycling to the red light. A warning about the device not rebooting pops up with the option to reload the OS. This option fails at "Reconnecting JVM". I have read the forums an have tried to use the manual method and still fails to connect JVM...
Battery at 3.41V, rated 3.70V charged with external charger to 4.11V. Battery removed from phone.
Run Loader.exe (also tried /nojvm) from admin command prompt

Plug into usb, sees phone. (red light goes off and does not cycle)

Sees device software package installed, click finish
Erases apps and installs OS, (put battery back in) gets to initializing device, red light starts cycling again (no boot screen) goes to re-connecting JVM and the error "could not connect" again.

During my testing I have never seen anything on the screen, just the red light and computer sound. He gave it to me without a sim card installed thinking there was a remote possibility that was keeping it from booting with screen activation. BBMCP and SAK cant wipe the phone or install OS...Dead. I have tried everything I can think of.
Let me know if you have any ideas???
Thanks,
Harry

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Torch 9800 wont boot, screen is black

Wow. You've tried everything I would have tried. Unless it's still a battery issue, I'd say its time for your boss to upgrade.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DrHarryT
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Torch 9800 wont boot, screen is black

He also had tried a new battery out of the package while in a store (they let him try before buy) same result.

I tried a freshly charged to 100% battery from my HTC EVO 4G which has the same voltage rating and pin/polarity configuration yet the same result as well.

Thanks

Harry

Please use plain text.