Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Vodafone

Torch 9810 Keeps Rebooting

Have had this problem for a while, now happening numerous times a day, not following any upgrade or app installation. Had sim changed. Doesn't seem to happen following any particular event (eg receiving message or anything) - what should I do or where can I send for repair.  I don't have paperwork but is only six months old, will it's age/warranty cover bge traceable by it's serial number? Was a present from a dear, now sadly deceased friend, so desperately want to hold on to this phone for sentimental reasons. Please can someone advise or let me know where I can send to Blackberry for a repair? Thanks

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Torch 9810 Keeps Rebooting

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Before we get into the warranty discussion, I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode and if the behavior does not persist, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

If the behavior persists even in Safe Mode, then more work is needed...cleanly reloading your OS, and some other diagnostic steps, so as to root out if the problem is hardware or OS/Software related. If/when you can provide solid results of Safe Mode testing, we can provide you with further instructions to attempt to remedy your situation.

Now to warranty...that's a tricky question. Warranty service is provided to each end user by the "next up in the chain" of ownership. Technically speaking, there is no warranty on the device, but rather to the original purchaser of the device and for the device. But, RIM also directly (e.g., "front line") services nothing to do with warranty directly...all of that is handled by the warranty service providers -- those "next up in the chain" folks -- who, if they are an authorized entity, can escalate into RIM if needed. In your case, your warranty provider is, sadly, your dear deceased friend.

Complicating your issue is the fact that you have no paperwork. If you had that, you might (stress might) be able to convince that next up in the chain (whoever provided the BB to your friend) to extend warranty coverage to you. But, lacking paperwork, you don't even know where to go to ask such a question.

There is something called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question since it is bypassing all formal and contractually-required support channels...If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

There also might be some good reading here:

But, all in all, from your description, I might not hold out much hope...technically speaking, you have no warranty coverage whatsoever, given the methods and manner of your acquisition of this device.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: 9800 (the one not working)
My Carrier: TELUS

I have the same issue as well but with my BB 9800 and the worst part is that when the loading bar progresses near the end it doesnt even complete it. Its stops at 3/4 of the end of the loading bar and reboots again or shows a quick white (blank) screen and reboots again.

I try doing that Escape troubleshooting below and no success. The phone doesnt even let me sync with the Desktop manager in order for me to delete data. All of this started when I upgraded the software to the newest one and dowladed the fitness app in BBWorld. Please ! I need my phone back. I dont even care if data is wipe and sent back to factory default! i just want my BB back Woman Sad

New Contributor

Btw I did the battery pull troubleshooting as well and it didnt work either
Hall of Famer II

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

purplesunshine29 wrote:

I try doing that Escape troubleshooting below and no success.

If, by those words, you mean that you attempted to access Safe Mode, but it did not work, then how may times did you try? Please re-read my advice above to the OP of this thread...it can take several tries to succeed getting into Safe Mode, and you may even need to alter the specific KB instructions to succeed. Patience and trying many many times may well give you success. If not, then these articles may be of use to you:

Good luck !

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

To answer your question, I tried it at least 10 times (real talk) ... but its ok my friend ... I found the solution ...and i was able to fix it .

I was able to fix this by updating the software of my Blackberry desktop to the lates one and than I simply followed the instructions. Easy like 1-2-3. Afterwards desktop manager was able to sync my BB9800 and a pop up apppeared with a requirement for REPAIR. Therefore I accpted the repair by pressing OK and ... KACHING! My BB9800 was back!

Whom ever is having this issue should try updating their Desktop manager 1st . It saves alot of time and $$$$$

Im so happy my BB9800 is now FULLY working!

Good Luck!

New Contributor

Thank you for your reply, really appreciate it (silly to be sentimental about a phone but there it is).  Am still testing, put in safe mode and it did seem better, so went back and deleted a load of apps I seem to have acquired without asking for them! Still happening a bit but not as often, do you think I should just reload the operating system, will that take me back to day one out of the box and then reload my backup?

Hall of Famer II

ruthxdavies23 wrote:

Thank you for your reply, really appreciate it (silly to be sentimental about a phone but there it is).  Am still testing, put in safe mode and it did seem better, so went back and deleted a load of apps I seem to have acquired without asking for them! Still happening a bit but not as often, do you think I should just reload the operating system, will that take me back to day one out of the box and then reload my backup?

From what you describe, I think your plan of action is sound. Indeed, you may want to try this process to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

OK it's the weekend and I finally have time to attend to this. I've backed up. How do I restore "bare bones" then? Currently Blackberry desktop is telling me there is an update, should I do that or how do I go back and find the original operating system that I had at the beginning?

Hall of Famer II

ruthxdavies23 wrote:

OK it's the weekend and I finally have time to attend to this. I've backed up. How do I restore "bare bones" then? Currently Blackberry desktop is telling me there is an update, should I do that or how do I go back and find the original operating system that I had at the beginning?

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for many models. If they include your model, then please use those as reference as you proceed. Otherwise, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

"Bare Bones" is a matter of, during the process above, unselecting any tic boxes that have the ability to do so.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates