Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
dawnkey14
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

Torch 9810 freezing & screen issues

I've had my blackberry torch for almost 6 months now and loved it, up until now.  The screen keeps freezing up.  I've deleted a lot of photos and made sure nothing is running in the background (use the close function rather than the back button), I've deleted my browser history and my messages history but it's still doing it.  Now my screen is acting up too.  The screen stays in the landscape position even when the phone is up right.  The only way it will stay in portrait is when the slider is open.  Any ideas or is my phone defective??  I don't have a lot of applications, just use facebook, email, texting and basic phone.  ARRRRR, frustrated!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Torch 9810 freezing & screen issues

Try a Battery pull please, with the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery 15 seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot device. This will clear all cache like rebooting a PC. Then try again and see if your problem persists.

What OS are you on? On your device, type in a new message MYVER and a space after to see and report back please.

A media card full of songs and pictures will take a long time to generate the thumbnails and song playlist, possibly making it slow up first use.

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on Smartphone. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Disable Compression on media card? go to Options, Device, Storage

using a custom theme? try it for a day the factory default one to rule out your theme

remember the esc key closes most apps, except for GPS and some chat clients. the other apps need to use menu and then exit or close. The farthest key to the right is a home key and does not close any apps per se but will end calls.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

First, have you removed the battery from the device while the device is powered up? Nothing is lost during this, it's just like rebooting your computer.

John
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dawnkey14

Seems to have cleared up the stuck landscape screen, time will tell if the freezing ceases.
Thanks and BTW, getting the battery out of a blackberry torch is like trying to pull a tooth from a 6 year old!!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
acvcom
My Device: Torch 9810 - s/w version 7.1.0.267
My Carrier: Telus

I've gone a step further and removed the media card for now to see if I continue to have these freezing issues.  I know at another company, my friend has removed all Torch devices from the list of offerings to their corporate Blackberry users due to these issues.  I'm in the process of drafting a similar policy at my company as I've received too many complaints and have experienced it myself a lot and don't have the time to be troubleshooting a hardware issue.  If this doesn't work, going to work on getting our provider to replace all torch devices at their cost!  And I just checked my device after removing the media card and have already removed most of the apps that were on there and have confirmed CPU usage was low...and am on the latest software versions 7.1.0.267 (B921)....and the freezing continues.  Sorry...but these devices suck!!!  Unless someone knows of a permanent fix, I would highly recommend that no one buys these devices, especially in a corporate environment.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

with 240 users here, I dont have complaints of freezing much and only about 10% (if that) of support calls are BlackBerry related.

Some do forget to turn off GPS or get a rougue app once in a while which is possible on any platform. remember they were made by humans and we make mistakes.

We had more issues with android devices freezing, apps crashing, poor battery life and now a slew of malware and viri that we did BAN them.

Sync issues with apple ithings is a royal pain to deal with as the device is usuall dead, sometimes it cant even charge while trying to sync 50k times in 4 hours. You have to charge it while off and remove the EAS profile once it boots or try to get into airplane mode. The 4s has a 3g issue and locks up on data, you have to do a 2 button reset for 30 seconds to get email or web again. external antennae is a joke

windows phones have sucked in the past, WM7 is ok but not perfect and still has sync issues with contacts. No one has asked for a windows phone yet. no wonder nokia is not doing well.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
acvcom
My Device: Torch 9810 - s/w version 7.1.0.267
My Carrier: Telus

You're very lucky.  The only complaints I've had here have been with Torch users and it has always been the freezing up issue.  I've just told them to be patient and it will start working.  I haven't been so lucky with my device as it happens too often and being in support, that doesn't help when it freezes up in the middle of a reply.

I don't use GPS or maps on BB at all and always double check to make sure it isn't turned on.  I've removed 99% of apps I don't use regularly and most games as well.  I've checked storage and I have plenty of room.  Right now, my touch screen is working but the touch pad doesn't move the cursor around at all but does respond if I push down on it to select what ever is highlighted.  So, it's now forcing me to use the touch screen to navigate to where I want to be.  The keyboard is responding...so far.  I've never had issues with any past devices I've had....correction...I did with the Torch 9800 so they upgraded me to the 9810.  Issues started within a few weeks but nothing like it has been of late.  I'm not looking to switch to an iPhone or anything like that...just looking for a BB device that actually works properly.  As recommended by my friend at another company, I'm trying to get this swapped out for the new Bold device.  As much as Iike the bigger screens on the Torch, they're not worth having to deal with the freezing issues.  Any Torch user I've spoken to report the exact same issues, both internal here in the office and external when I meet up with friends.  I'm not holding out hope that they will come up with a fix for this.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

if your track pad is not working, then maybe thats what is wrong and causing the freezing.

my 9810 hardly gave me any freezing but I do have 12 BBM groups, Busy Twitter account and 4 active email accounts so i know it is being taxed a bit

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

My 9810 freezes all the time too. Sometimes with an hourglass and sometimes without. Its enough to be quite annoying at times.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
BLBB

[ Edited ]

This has been an ongoing problem with my AT&T Torch 9810 also. Frequent freezing and hanging, often for a couple of minutes at a time. This makes the device too unreliable for use as a phone.  :-/

Please use plain text.