Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
rmccool
My Device: Pearl 8100 (waiting for Torch 2)

Torch 9810 trackpad / convenience key issue (likely software-related)

Device info

Torch 9810

OS 7.1 Bundle 1997 (v7.1.0.694, Platform 5.1.0.507)

Carrier: AT&T

Apps and free space

Free Memory: 131472652 bytes

Apps: 84 (including RIM default apps)
Applicaton Storage: 125.2 MB free

Media Storage: 6.2 GB total, 5.7 GB free

BT device model/version: Jabra BT3030 stereo headset

Problem Description

The trackpad works fine in some situations, such as when scrolling between icons on the home screen, or moving among dates in the calendar.  It doesn't work in other situations - primarily in popups (for example, the 'Changes Made!  Save  Discard  Cancel' popup that you get if you try to exit a partially composed e-mail message) or in the event creation / editing portion of the calendar.

I have enabled Audible Roll, and I receive audible clicks when I try to use the trackpad, so the trackpad hardware seems to be working fine.  This leads me to believe that this is a software issue, but I've tried mutliple resets and battery pulls, and they haven't resolved the problem.

Also, the convenience key appears to have stopped working entirely.

Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Torch 9810 trackpad / convenience key issue (likely software-related)

[ Edited ]

Try the below KB article -

• KB29640 Trackpad, trackball, or keyboard not working on a BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

If it doesn't work then consider reinstalling/updating device OS.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

What do you mean by "multiple resets?"

Here is what I would suggest.

Make a full backup of the device.

Do a Security Wipe of the device, including all 3rd party apps.

Does the device function properly? If so, restore your personal data from the backup. If not, we may want to reload the OS from scratch.

If you restore your data and the device begins to act up again then we know it's something in your data and you should wipe the device and do a selective restore, restoring only the most important data.

Give that a try and let us know how it goes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Safe mode is a great idea. Give that a try. If that solves the problem then the problem is being caused by one of your 3rd party applications.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
lorax1284
My Device: Passport

I have a similar problem... my Torch 9810 Trackpad will work for days at a time, then, I will pick it up to look at my messages, and the device will be sluggish to respond... touchscreen, trackpad clicks, keyboard, it seems to be "frozen"... then it will unfreeze and the touchscreen and keyboard and CLICKING the trackpad will work, but the trackpad will not "track" as I move my finger over it.

I have to reboot the device multiple times, but eventually it will work again... for days in a row... then the similar thing happens.

I'm sure this is a "race condition" but I don't know how to diagnose it fully and certainly don't know how to repair it.

Things I've tried:

Security wipe (didn't solve it)

Restore after security wipe (didn't solve it)

Install new version of software (both official from my Carrier (Virgin Mobile Canada) and others via "deleting vendor .xml") didn't solve it.

Alt-Shift-Del to reboot: didn't solve it.

Remove SIM card only leave micro SD card in device, do battery pull, reboot: didn't solve it

Remove SD card only and leave SIM card in device, do battery pull, reboot: didn't solve it

Remove BOTH SD card and SIM card and reboot. That solved it one time. Reinserted SIM card and SD card, and it worked again for days... then, it just stopped working again.

I'm at the point of doing various battery pulls in combination with a delay between pulling and reinserting the battery, with different combinations of having the Micro SD card in, or just the SIM card in, both in or out, and I'm not able to CONSISTENTLY get it to work after it restarts.

It's obviously not a hardware issue, and my carrier can't help at all. What can be done? I'd be willing to send the device in for forensic testing if it would resolve the problem, but since it's not likely hardware related (but replacing the device is the 'quick fix' everyone recommends) I don't think replacing the device will solve the problem, and I worry that even if I do buy a new Torch 9810, the same problem will reoccur.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on Smartphone. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Disable Compression on media card? go to Options, Device, Storage

using a custom theme? try it for a day the factory default one to rule out your theme

remember the esc key closes most apps, except for GPS and some chat clients. the other apps need to use menu and then exit or close. The farthest key to the right is a home key and does not close any apps per se but will end calls.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor
lorax1284
My Device: Passport

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have tried killing apps, uninstalling apps, etc., and I can't identify what the culprits are: lots say they are using 0% CPU, but then again, there are apps running that I don't even know WHY they're running... like "Media". I'm not listening to any music. or "Blackberry News". Not using it. Just below "Photo Studio" using 35.6K is "Blackberry Device Analyser", using 26.6K of memory... below THAT all the apps say "Not Running" but why are those ABOVE that point running? "Photo Studio". Really? I'm not running it, after a battery pull what the heck is it doing? "Email Setup" is running. Why? I'm not "setting up my email".

So, I don't know what I can safely kill and worse still I don't think some of those apps should be running in the first place.

That's kind-of why I'd like a forensic analysis of what the heck is going on with these apps, possibly some of them have 'gone rogue' on me, for reasons I can't explain.