Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Torch 9860 dies an early death

I am unimpressed with the inability to contact BB ref a product of theirs. I purchased my Torch under 2 years ago, never dropped it and took good care of it. the other day, I turned it on and it was perfectly fine. a little while later I went to check my email and the phone was off. it would not turn on. I thought maybe the battery was dead, so I plugged it in. nothing. went to supportand tried all the fixes...nothing. Battery is fine...works fine in my husband's BB. this phone completely done. Lost all my contact info as I can't access my backup without the phone. went to local provider...$165 left on my contract. this doesn't include cost of a new phone. used to be a loyal blackberry customer. Blackberry....your products should last longer than 2 years....
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Torch 9860 dies an early death

Honestly, that's about the life of most cell phones. To say that BB has a problem because yours died just short of two years is a bit of a stretch.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

being an electronics technician...I beg to differ. if things were starting to fail, I might understand. there was no indication of any problems. the motherboard fried for no apparent reason. usually it is a result of poor quality parts. my tvs last for years...and it has much of the same technology behind it. my last blackberry was over 3 years old and still going strong when I replaced it for one with a larger screen. surfing the internet, I have found a number of issues with this phone.
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

[ Edited ]

As an electronics tech you would know that sometimes electronic devices just quit and that sometimes it happens on devices that usually last much longer. I have a Torch 9860 at home and it's still working fine with no problems. My point is that because one device failed for an unknown reason doesn't mean BlackBerry devices are made with poor quality parts. As an electronics tech you should know that even high quality parts can fail. Maybe they are low quality parts but they aren't all failing so it's a stretch to make a blanket statement as you did. My daughter had an HTC Amaze that didn't last two years before it died. I didn't make a blanket statement that all HTC devices are poor quality since I know people who are still using theirs.

I'm sorry to hear your 9860 died. Unfortunately, there is little that can be done since it's outside the warranty period. If you have a backup file you can get another BB and restore that file to the new BB. If you decide on a BB10 model, you won't be able to restore the backup as its a completely new platform. The old device must be working in order to transfer the old data to a new BB10device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Highlighted
Contributor

1.  I did not say that BB's were made with poor quality parts.  I said USUALLY it is a result of poor quality parts, but never pointed the finger at BB.  English 101.....so I did NOT make a blanket statement directly about BB.  I know that good quality parts can fail as well.

2.  I did comment that there were a number of Torch's failing, so any comments were not based on 1 device, but a number.

3.  Thanks for your input, this is over as I didn't attack anyone's character as you did mine.  

Happy Thanksgiving.

Guru II

[ Edited ]

The inference was there. Regardless, I never attacked your character, nor would I, as I have no idea whether the parts are high quality or low quality but just know my experience with many BB devices over the last almost 10 years.

Happy Halloween

Solutions: 6,153
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Sandie_M51, did you have a backup made with the desktop software or have BlackBerry Protect installed?
And what repair center was this, and do you know what they might have done to revive it?

I read this entire thread. No one attacked your character.

Hey, Happy Columbus Day!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code