Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
goodberry
My Device: Bold 9650

Torch Slider Keyboard for Sprint?!?

Is RIM planning to bring the a Blackberry Torch 9810 with slider keyboard to Sprint anytime soon?

The 9800 was first introduced exclusively to AT&T back in Aug. 2010 and I've been waiting for it since then for a Sprint version. It's been 16 months & no sign of a Sprint large screen with slider keyboard.  Recently AT&T recevied a second updated 9810 slider keyboard, but still none for the rest of us.  Is this RIM and AT&T love affair going to end soon!

I'm tired of these silly exclusivity games and my patience is running out...  Especialy since there are multiple large screen slider keyboard Android based handhelds at Sprint with very attractive pricing.  I will not be switching carriers (specially not to AT&T and their terrible service), so I ask again:

Is RIM planning to bring the a Blackberry Torch 9810 with slider keyboard to Sprint anytime soon?

Ed

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Torch Slider Keyboard for Sprint?!?

AT&T has exclusive rights to it.

I find it unfair as well.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
goodberry

I don't think that is true anymore since the 9810 has also become available on the T-Mobile network.

If it is still true, RIM should really strive to chnage that if they want to sell some handsets!

Ed

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

the 9810 is a GSM only device and not made for CDMA that Sprint uses.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
goodberry

Yes, the 9810 is GSM based and won’t work on the CDMA network.  However, similar to the new Torch 9850/9860 (all touch, no qwerty keyboard) there are both GSM and CDMA variants produced to work on both networks and serve all major US carriers, and the same could be done for slider Torch to provide qwerty keyboard and larger screen to the masses wanting this configuration.  Slap a CDMA receiver in 9810, give it a new 98?? number and start shipping them out...
IMHO the focus should be RIM’s end customers who make the decision to buy the handsets, not limiting it to specific carriers.
Ed

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

until the exclusive deal with AT&T ends, we can only hope that it will be on CDMA one day.

New Contributor
goodberry

Yeah, you are right.  Wait and hope for these silly exclusivity games to end sometime, so that I might get my hands on a stale handset that’s been out for 1.5 years (maybe even two years by then).  And still wait and hope for the new BB10 handset to show up who knows when.  Oh yeah, then wait and hope that it won’t have another AT&T exclusivity on it.  And then wait and hope some more....

I’m up for a new handset and I don’t have much patience left for waiting and hoping!  Lots of good up-to-date technology readily available at Sprint without any waiting or hoping needed.

Ed

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

the screen size of the 9930 and 9810 are close, the 9930 is about 10 mil less on one side.

yes the bold does not have a virtual keyboard and I hardly use it on my torch, sometimes I think i should have waited for a bold. AT&T had to make many wait for it.

I wish you luck on your next device, it sure can be a tough one to decide.