Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Torch Wont Start, loads partway then shuts off or resets.

My Torch 9800 was recently went for a swim in rainwater. At first I didn't realize the phone was water damaged, and thought it has just randomly turned off, so I took the battery out, put it back it, and then it started making a static sound. So I immediately removed the battery and put the phone in rice. Unfortunitely got my time lines mixed up and tried to put the battery back in too soon and again the phone started making a static sound. So I took the battery back out, and put it back in rice worried that I'd fryed all the circuits. However, 48 hours later I put the battery back in and the loading screen came up, but when it went to the rogers screen pre-my wallpaper the phone reset and started to load again, then it shut off. Everytime I do a battery pull the led light comes on for a couple seconds, and then it shuts off and nothing happens. So I took the sim card out, and tried the batter again and the phone started to load then shut off.

I've found that If I leave the battery out for a while the phone will start to load, but either gets stuck at the 2/3 mark and will freeze there, or it'll shut off. Today I tried putting the battery back in, and the phone loaded to my home-screen, but then froze and shut off.

If I plug my phone into my computer through the USB the phone connects for a second, and then disconnects. I've tried with both the battery in and out.
I've also tried re-installing the OS through the loader app as mentioned (http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry), and through a force connect with desktop manager (by hitting update button when desktop manager tries to connect with my phone when I first plug it in to my computer, before it resets and disconnects). Both times the phone starts to load the OS, but when it comes to re-initialize the phone, it'll disconnect, then reconnect, but then after 4-5 seconds dissconnect again, and so I get the "Application Loader was unable to connect with your device" error while the loader is trying to recconect to JVM...

Is there any hope for my phone? I love my torch and was realllly hoping to hold out until Blackberry releases their new phones in the new year.

I think I might try soaking the phone in 99% isopropanol in hopes in might be just some mineral build up from the rain water.

But I'd really appreciate any suggestions anyone has to help me try and get my phone working again. :smileyhappy:

Thank you.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Torch Wont Start, loads partway then shuts off or resets.

Hello...and apologies for the delayed reply!

Hopefully you already have resolved this...but just in case...

Applying power to your BB between it getting wet and doing the proper process (including the maximum waiting time) reduces the chances of success. Further, the only thing predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB (indeed, any electronic device) is that the results will be unpredictable. I've seen some come back up right away and be fine. I've seen others never work at all. I've seen still others run for a bit, and then die later. And every thing in between.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code