If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
sidramiller
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Torch dropped in water

I have never dropped my Torch 9800 before in the over 2 years I have had it but when I finally did it was in the toilet.  I immediately took out battery, sim and blotted with a soft  paper towel.  Within 30 mins I immersed it in rice.  The moisture indicator on the phone itself is white.  There is a small patch on the battery that is red, but since I never noticed it before, I don't know if it is moisture indicator or what.  About 24 hrs in rice I reassembled it and it came on fine but I had in my haste put the sim in wrong. When I corrected the error and replaced the battery it did not come on.  I am eligible to upgrade, but I really don't want to if I can bring the Torch back.  It is back immersed in rice.  I have had some tell me it could take several days.  I can purchase a new battery, but if I am going to have to purchase a new phone, that seems kinda like a waste if it does not work.  I even saw on a crackberry.com forum where a RIM tech recommended the guy whose BB got sweaty to immerse the phone in alcohol for 5 seconds and then let it dry for 3 days.  I might try that as last resort, but I cannot bring myself to try it now.  Any suggestions, pep talks on being patient....that is not a virtue of mine.  

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Torch dropped in water

The standard remedy is really the best way to go: 4-5 days in rice and nothing less. Since you haven't gone the full time, you should get the phone and battery back in to the rice. The fact that you've already powered on the phone might affect it negatively but putting both battery and phone back in can't hurt.

Keep us posted. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sidramiller

I can upgrade so I did that.  I have 30 days to send new one back, but I don't have a home phone and really need my phone.  Since I am a Blackberry addict, I got the Torch 9810; I hope it is as faithful as my 9800 which I got for $10 as a refurb.  Another question, if I may.  Once I activate my new pin, I should be able to upload all my stuff from DTM I had for 9800 to 98010, right.  I cant just do a device switch since I probably cannot get the 9800 recognized by the DTM.  Sidra  PS you have helped a lot, thanks for responding 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sidramiller

I see you're with Rogers. Are you in Canada....Home of RIM support.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes, I am in Canada.  In fact, I'm right in the heart of the nations's capital, Ottawa.  :smileyhappy:

So do you have any backups that you've done with BlackBerry Desktop Software?  If so, you should be able to load one of them to your new phone.  Doing a device switch might not be possible if you can't connect your previous phone to BDS, as you've already suggested.

Whatever happens, keep us up to date on your progress.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sidramiller

Yes, as a matter of fact I did a back up just over a week ago when I updated the software on the 9800.  I have most of my pictures on my media card, including the ones taken with the phone camera.  My contacts are really my main concern.  I am not sure if I doubled down on the sim in the 9800, but they are of course, on my DTM.  I used to do data support for ATT wireless and worked with a lot of Blackberries, but I cannot remember how to change the device in the DTM without using the switch wizard which won't work bc of the 9800's inability to connect to DTM.  I vaguely remember there is a way under devices that might let me do it.  If worse comes to worse, I can contact ATT data support and if they can't help they can get me to RIM at no cost to me.  I dealt a lot with RIM tech support in the past and they are the best. I know a lot of my friends tried to get me to switch to an iPhone or Android, but I love Blackberries and as long as RIM keeps making them, I will keep using them.  

Please use plain text.