Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
nlevinson
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Torch screen lock button

PatternLock has worked really well!

To make the backlight go off right away using Patternlock:

- go to Options, Third Party Applications - PatternLock will be there - click it

- click Autolock:  change the setting for Autolock when backlight turns off to: After 1 sec.

Even though this sounds backwards it actually seems to do both - sets time it locks after backlight goes off and time for backlight to go off after you lock it.

Really good.  And yes I determined my lock button is broken as it doesn't click - every mild touch locks.  I have trained myself to never touch there.  Kind of annoying

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LeoBenneker
My Device: Torch

Thanks, that did the trick! Do not know what you mean exactly by MYVER.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ja2502001
My Device: torch

Where is the Rage! !

There has to be a resolution from rim..  Buying or even having to install a third party app free or not is just unbelievable to me.. this is the most irritating phone i haver owned. It comes alive with ease in my shirt pocket.. How such an advanced phone such as this could take such a giant leap backward blows me away. would seem to be such a simple fix..Last Blackberry for me..

Please use plain text.
Visitor
whitebuffalo
My Device: Torch 8900

[ Edited ]

i have had the same issue with my torch.  even questioning if the lock button is touch sensitive because it operates with such light pressure that it is annoying.  sometimes it would even be pressed all the time in a way that no other buttons would work on the phone at all;  i could use the screen but any old-school "click" buttons would be useless.  what i found to be the main problem is the plastic cover that sits above it.  i used a small screwdriver and pried up the cover for the two buttons ("mute" and "lock") and viola!  it acts like a real button.  it may have taken enough small impacts to bend the button down or there's a manufacturing defect of some sort but prying it up makes it act normally again.  it's not a pretty fix, but it worked for me.  and be gentle it only takes a little pressure to get it back to normal...

side note:  i think its funny that the mute button doest work intuitively also.  when you are using the music player it will toggle the pause/play.  once that i had holstered my phone and accidentally bumped the "mute" button in a meeting and it started playing what i had been listening to on the way there, the exact opposite of what the button is supposed to do!  can someone say irony?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
macdj99

I also had problems with the lock button right after I got my Torch.  I downloaded the PatternLock app from App World.  It works great for locking and unlocking.  However, with this app installed, my calendar and event reminders disappear immediately when they go off.  Even if I set the alerts to 3 "beeps" I will get a split second of one "beep" and then nothing.  When I unlock the screen there is no reminder showing, so I have actually missed a couple of appointments before. 

I had no idea what was causing this to happen, and neither did the place that sold it to me.  They simply removed the battery and tried setting a reminder and it worked...stayed on the screen and everything.  Except when I tried it later...nothing.  I realized that when they did it at the store they had not locked the screen using PatternLock, so the reminder worked as it should.  I would like to perhaps try the Storm Slider, but not if it has the same issues.

Anyone else have this problem with PatternLock (or any other slider-type lock)?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
macdj99

Update:  I downloaded the Storm Slider app and it does allow my calendar and event notification alarms to go off fully.  However, it randomly unlocks itself with error messages so, my Torch is still in my pocket unlocked quite frequently.  Too bad, because the Storm Slider looks good and seems like it would be a great fix to silly problem that Blackberry doesn't want to fix on its own.

:Censored:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Yellowilona

I also installed pattern lock and it seems to solve the problem. Regards, Ilona
Please use plain text.
georginaragg

Re: Torch screen lock button i think i found a cure!

i switched off the phone, removed the memory card, switched it back on and waited till the security checks were done. when i checked the lock button it worked as it was ment to (screen locked and lights off) and with password on it stays locked when the slide goes up for the keyboard. i then unlocked the phone and replaced the memory card with the phone on. a message flashed up on the screen for 2 seconds and since then no problems :Clap:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ja2502001

Re: Torch screen lock button I think I found a cure!

Again not sure why RIM has ignored this issue.. Having to install 3Rd party apps to resolve something that worked great on previous phones is simply unacceptable.. By By Blackberry for me.. THIS PHONE NEEDS A 2 BUTTON UNLOCK..THE SINGLE PRESS IS TOO TOUCHY 

Please use plain text.
hockeysam

Hey i found this app that is located in bb app world.  This version is FREE and works great.  You can have it lock based on time or by pressing the convience key if you set it up that way.  To unlock you can press a button, hold a button or slide your finger across the screen.  http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/47135

Please use plain text.