Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
djdez
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800 and Pearl 9100
My Carrier: AT&T

Torch will NOT charge with Wall or Car Chargers, only USB - what is the fix?

About 3 days ago, my Torch decided it no longer wants to work with ANY wall charger, or car charger for that matter.  I have been using it just fine for the past 6 months, and charging it just about every night, topping it off for a fresh charge for the morning.

Now, NO wall chargers work, simply no response.  The ONLY way I can charge is via the USB cable and my laptop.  This is VERY annoying and no one at the AT&T store seems to know what's going on.

I've tried all kinds of battery pulls and reboots - even upgraded to the latest software, downgraded back - NOTHING seems to be working!

What is the solution to this problem?  How can I get it to charge again in my wall and car chargers?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Torch will NOT charge with Wall or Car Chargers, only USB - what is the fix?

hmm... What is your Operating System loaded to your device? Look at Options > About, third line down beginning with a "v.6.0.x.xxx", What is yours?

When you connect to a normal wall or auto charger, does the charging symbol appear on the battery symbol, at all, even for only two seconds?

When you connect via USB to the PC/laptop, do you see that charging indicator?

Or in either case, when you charge, do you see the clock pop up as in bedside mode?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Torch will NOT charge with Wall or Car Chargers, only USB - what is the fix?

[ Edited ]

If the device (Blackberry phone) will recharge using the computer this means that the port on the device should be functioning properly.  The USB port on your computer puts out up to 500 ma at 5 Volts. The voltage regulator in the phone adjusts the power coming in to be in specs to charge the battery. The Blackberry charger is a 700 ma charger. The computer will take about 30% longer to charge the phone.

I have had the connectors on the chargers and car adabtors go defective from handling and use.  I have also had chargers fail. Since the phone can be recharged using the computer this tells me the fault has to be with the charging devices you have. Unfortunately these chargers are not serviceable. As for myself, over time I bought a number of spare chargers.

I would strongly suggest to try another charger. Maybe you can go in to a store that sells them and try another charger that they have in stock.

When buying or trying a charger, it would be best to get an original Blackberry charger. This guarantees the specifications will be exactly correct for your phone, and also for the electrical safety for your phone. It is also known that many of the universal chargers will not properly charge the Blackberry phone.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
djdez

This is my wife's phone and she is at work ... but it's the latest Version 6 operating system - we just downloaded the newest one last night from the blackberry site. 

When connecting to a wall charger, we see NOTHING.  No charging indicator and no display of the clock as we always used to see, just like bedside mode.

However, when we charge via USB, the clock pops right up, and if I exit that screen, I see the little lightning bolt where the battery strength is flickering, so I know it's charging. 

And, regarding my other wall chargers - I have like 4 of them.  We tried ALL of them, so I know they're not faulty - and I can charge MY phone (a Blackberry Pearl 9100) in any of them and it works fine.

Same thing last night in the car - my phone works in the charger, her phone will not.

I guess the port is fine, as it works with the USB, so I'm stumped!!!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I am now stumped on this one also!

I would try two things just to do it. Try another charger in a store, If it doesn't work then call Blackberry tech support. This is unusual.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Ok, when you get a chance, do check the OS release as I asked... because your "latest" is not always THE latest.

But, could you drop by your carrier store and try out a different charger.. maybe?

Or even ask to try a different battery, just to rule that out?

I know neither of these should make a difference, but you never know, and both are simple cost-less things to try.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
djdez

I still highly doubt it's the charger, as I stated, I tried all 4 and it won't work in ANY of them - yet my phone works in ALL of them!

She's looking into the EXACT version of the OS and I will post it here.  She's also going to stop at AT&T after work and see if another battery would work.

But, I can't see HOW it would be the battery, if it will charge in our laptop with the USB cable - very strange ...

Thanks for the help so far! 

Please use plain text.
JSanders

djdez wrote:

But, I can't see HOW it would be the battery, if it will charge in our laptop with the USB cable - very strange ... 

Honestly, I can't see that either, EXCEPT that it is a pretty simple thing to check, and much less invasive than another upgrade of the device. I can't explain the behavior you're seeing, so we reach for the un-tried ideas, simple ones, to rule them out.

I have one auto charger that would not charge my BlackBerry, but it will charge my wife's. But only when connected in her car. If she connects the charger in my truck, her BlackBerry won't charge, and neither will mine when connected in her auto. Explain that?  But before ruling the charger was bad... it just didn't like my device and my car.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
djdez

here's a quick update ...

the wife just got back from the AT&T Store and 3 different techs were stumped on the problem.  They tried a different battery, different chargers, and NOTHING worked!  They even let her keep the battery!  Doesn't really matter, since it will only charge via the USB cable anyway.

They also think the port is fine since it will work with the USB.

Their solution is ... a new Phone!  So, since she has the insurance, they're getting her a new phone!

But, the problem is that I've been searching forums all over for 2 days - before I finally gave up and decided to post here.  There are people with similar problems out there - and not just with the Torch - but the solutions are never the same ...  simple battery pulls and software upgrades did not work for us.  All I want to know is WHY it suddenly stopped working? 

Yeah, a new phone is nice, but I'm a techie and always want to know the root of the problem and a true solution.  Don't worry, I'll be keeping this phone and still be looking for a way to get it fixed!

Thanks for the help though!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

You and are thinking much the same. Did you try a complete wipe of the phone and re-install its system. Then you get the service books re-sent to the phone.

I somehow feel its a software issue. The OS of the phone has to permit the charge mode to work. It has to authenticate the connected device before allowing communication.

I once had a different type of phone with a port issue. A re-installation of the OS fixed it.

At this point you have nothing to lose if you still have posession of the phone.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.