Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

E320CDI
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860

Torch will not work if not connected to the mains

Hi all

I have had a 9860 Torch for 15 months with Orange now, with no problems to mention. The phone however started to play up, the battery seem to run dry very quickly and I had to put it on charge daily without having used the phone much, ie no bluetooth, not surfing the net etc. Then the phone started to go off when I took it off charge. The screen would go black and only the butons at the bottom would be alight. Nothing would happen if I pressed any of the buttons, and I am not able to restart the phone. I then have to put it on charge again, take the battery out and re-insert it, and it will start up again as long as it is connected to the mains. The battery indicator shows the battery is fully charged, I did however buy a new battery and downloaded the latest update just before Christmas, which seemed to solve the problem for a few days, however the phone has now reverted to the same problem. The phone works perfectly well when connected to the mains, but the screen goes black as soon as it is disconnected, and will only start up again if connected back up to the mains and battery taken out and re-inserted.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I have spoken to Orange who performed a wipe of the phone and reset it, but the problem still exist.

Thanks

Martin

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Torch will not work if not connected to the mains

Thats some good troubleshooting.  I think at this point a hardware replacement is in order now.

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860

Thankyou for your reply, could you expand a bit on it though, do you mean the phone is beyond repair and I should get another or..............

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

[ Edited ]

Thats what I'm thinnking...phone replacement.  I'm not sure what a repair would cost.  You've elimianted the software part with the software wipe / reload and you've replaced the battery.  You could try another SD card or SIM if applicable, but don't see how this is related to the phone shutting off when not connected to mains.  I wonder if you're runinng the latest software though.

you can use this guide to reload the software yourself:  You may not be running the latest version of the device software since the store did it.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Device-software-for-BlackBerry/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-S...

I don't think you have any apps that would cause an issue like this.