Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
Gentlemaneve
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange

Totally wiping the whole phone

Hi all,

I would like to know all the steps to completely "erase" everything on the phone and start all over from nothing. I thought a Wipe would be enough, so I did that this morning, but Google Maps still doesn't work, nor does BBM and when I watch online tutorials, like on this page http://us.blackberry.com/support/apps-and-software/email-setup-and-integration.html, I don't even have the same steps as they do(eg. When in Setup I click on Email accounts, I don't get the same thing after that.)

Could anyone help? this is really getting on my nerves. :Helpsmilie:

Apologies if this is obvious or off topic or something...

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Totally wiping the whole phone

Hello,

I'm a bit confused by your post...what do BBM, online tutorials, and the link you provided all have to do with each other? They seem like somewhat separate things to me.

There are many ways to "erase" everything, some more destructive than others...including one that can completely remove your OS, requiring you to re-install it from your computer.

But, from what you describe, I suspect you don't need those...however, I cannot be certain without more details from you. For example, you say you "don't get the same thing after that"...well, what exactly are you expecting, and what exactly do you see?

Exact symptoms from you, including exact and complete error message contents, will help to guide us as to if what you propose is even the proper recovery method. Based on what you've said, I think that it's not and that you actually need to go a different direction -- but your responses to these questions will help clarify that.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Gentlemaneve

All right, I guess I didn't explain my whole history well enough.

To explain everything from the start, my brother gave me his Blackberry Torch 9800 a year or so ago. I used it until this morning in that condition, which was lacking several functionnalities (couldn't send emails from my phone because I couldn't get rid of my brother's address; couldn't use Google Maps), since they didn't hinder me too much. This morning, however, I decided to get all I could out of my phone, so I did a total wipe - and I don't really notice much difference, Google Maps still doesn't work, and I can't activate an email address on my phone. 

As for the tutorial, while I was looking for help on the web, I came to that site which showed exactly what to do, but although I had the exact same model, I didn't have the same pages come up. To be precise : on that link I posted, I clicked on BlackBerry Torch 9800 Smartphone and, in that pop-up that came up, I was lost at step 2 : after clicking the email account, I didn't have the choice between Internet Mail Account and Enterprise Account, it goes straight to Enterprise activation - and the activation doesn't even work, it says "Acquiring service connectoin..." for a while and then "Activation request failed. A service connection is unavailable".(I don't believe this has anything to do with the network, actually).

I'll probably change smartphones anyway soon ... But no matter how this turns out, I'd like to thank you for your time and input in helping me !

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...now I understand.

First off, way back when you brother gave it to you, you should have treated it as a buy/sell transaction, and followed this:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

Now, it seems you are doing that now, and the WIPE it describes is indeed the method needed to change ownership properly.

But, that's not all there is. From what you describe (only seeing "Enterprise" for email configuration), you are not subscribed, from your mobile service provider, to a data plan that is adequate to enable the services you desire. BB's don't provide full functionality on a generic data plan. Rather, for many things (including email), they require the use of servers hosted by the carriers and BlackBerry...which means paying for a BB-specific data plan rather than a generic data plan.

You actually need to stay completely away from that "Enterprise" setup wizard, for it is not at all applicable to what you need. Rather you need "Internet" or "Personal" email added as a selection to that screen, and you do that by subscribing to an adequate data plan from your carrier.

If you want full functions, then I suggest you ring up your mobile service provider and talk to them about the services you desire to have functional...and subscribe from them to a data plan that is adequate to enable those things.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Gentlemaneve

I'm in France, and instead of using Orange, which is the usual BlackBerry carrier, I use SFR - could that be the reason ?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

It could be...but only SFR can answer that question.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Gentlemaneve

I'll phone them tomorrow then. Thanks for your help!
Please use plain text.