Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
randynjaimie
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Touch keyboard and landscape orientation rarely working on my 9800

[ Edited ]

Having an ongoing problem with my 9800: Over the past 6 months or so, my 1+ year old Torch has gradually become disoriented, er, it has lost the ability to detect it's physical orientation. This inability to detect the device's actual orientation happens in conjunction with losing the ability to use the touch screen keyboard. I have fat thumbs, so the slider keyboard is frustrating to use.  I mentioned this was a gradual loss of function, meaning that it sometimes resolved itself, but I cannot force it to recover via keyboard reboot, battery & sim pull, making it stand in the corner, etc. Now, six months later, the problem seems to have pretty much burned itself in, so I resorted to a complete wipe & restore. That didn't work either. **bleep**.

I am beginning to think the forced portrait orientation is initiated by opening (or partially opening) the physical keypad. When that happens, it seems as though the device is not getting the indication that the physical keyboard has been closed. Sort of makes sense. Dirty contacts or micro switch? 

But I am conflicted because some game apps require you to orient the device to landsacpe. When I use those apps, I will get a message telling me to reoritent the device to landscape - and doing so reorients the screen - but only while that app is in use. Unfortunately, when closing those apps, the verticial orientation problem remains and the touch keyboard is not available.

Can someone give me any suggestions to fix this? I am eligible for an upgrade, but I am holding out for the BB10 lanuch later this year. This has to be fixable!

I saw one other post from November, 2011 by another user having the same issue. There were to comiserating replies with the same problem; yet nobody in the community has responded to that post with a possible cause or working solution.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Dr_B
My Device: playbook and torch
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Touch keyboard and landscape orientation rarely working on my 9800

I have concluded that this is a design fault. It frives me nuts and the only solutions I have seen on the forums is upgrading or re-installing the OS or doing a hard boot. The former does not work and the latter occasionally works. Of course, re-booting every time you slide the keyboard open is not a real solution. Very frustrating.
Please use plain text.