Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
George_Fleet
My Carrier: TELUS
Accepted Solution

Track Pad not working at all

HI,

I am trying to trouble shoot a Blackberry Torch (9800). The trackpad stopped working and I am unable to get it working again. Did all the usual, rebooted, removed battery, etc.

Has anyone had the same problem or know of a solution?

GF

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,744
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Track Pad not working at all

It sounds like what I have seen multiple times on a device with moisture damage.
Even sitting on a bathroom counter during a hot steamy shower or bath can cause keyboard and trackball problems UNTIL properly dried out.

Any chance of ANYthing like this?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
George_Fleet

No moisure or liquid spilled on the the unit. So doubt that it is a moisture problem. :smileysad:

GF

Please use plain text.
JSanders

I don't know then. Most of the time it is moisture as mentioned, but since you're absolutely sure it has not been in any high humidity conditions....

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
George_Fleet

Thanks for trying. I guess I will have to take it in to the dealer for warranty repair.

GF

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yep, I would suggest that.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ianday7
My Carrier: orange

My Bold 9700 developed thisproblem yesterday. Out ofthe blue. I put the blackberry on the bedsidetable -it was working . In the morning the track pad failed to work. I tried re-installing the blackberry os 6 and downgrading to os 5 (I had recently upgraded to os 6 and wondered if this was the problem. No luck still not working. The moisture issue is interesting - I had been training in the gym and had the blackberry in my pocket. I was planning to replace the trackpad but having read this I will wait a few days in case moisture is a problem.

I enjoy making websites and writing on my Blackberry Bold

My Blackberry is great and very useful.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
jtv
My Carrier: 3 UK

I haven't got any repairs help. I have quit a few app tools on mine, I do voluntary work teaching others to use the basics of the PC with the hobbies of sceince and engineering, so you can imagine the tools from documents to the weather and compass.

I found I been getting a lot of freezing moving from page to page and app to app.

I found I got a problem with my voice commands which I had set as disabled, a problem I had months ago and thought it was solved, but I found that when I put this new headset in, this would become enabled. So I thought I'd best back -up and do a clean reload.

When I did this a App I had bought became active, (Slide2Open) and through the settings was the only way to activate the trackpad. For what reason I don't know why. Anyway I decided to delete Slide2Open and since my trackpad hasn't worked since.

I've had the phone since April on contract, so I think I think it's an warrenty job mate.

Am surprised I got that all out. All my work is in the phone, I'll be lost withput it for at least two weeks, my poor BB

jtv

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dj_malan
My Carrier: 0835077965

I took my blackberry 8520 in to repair the track pad witch has given me trouble for a long time. My phone is still under warranty but they have charged me R2220 to fix my phone, this is almost three times as much as a new phone. The track pad is a manufacturing fault and never last long with 5 people I know whos track pads stopped working or is struggling to work. And your websites and forums is full of problems with the track pad.I am enjoying my black berry and just want my track pad to be fixed. How is it possible to pay R2220 rand just to fix the track pad and even if the phone is still under warranty were blackberry must fix problems with the phone. This is why people are moving to iphone and samsung and so on!!!!!! What can I do?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
jtv
My Carrier: 3 UK

I had to take my Torch 9800 to my service provider who changed the front sliding face body, I wasn't charged and ought not to be charged.
Mine was on contract from which I still have 1 year to go, but am not sure about when contract runs out or pay-as-you-go phones!!!
I was told it would take two weeks at least to fix, it was done in a week.
I don't believe moisture caused it, but I would like some indication what did.
Please use plain text.