Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
belseat
Accepted Solution

Tried updating 9810. now blackberry won't start. won't update.

Device info

i have a Torch 9810 unlocked that i'm using in UAE. it was running 7.1 and trying to update to the latest version. 

Apps and free space

Phone won't turn on so i don't have this information

I tried to update to the latest version by plugging into my laptop and running Desktop software. luckily i did back up before doing anything. if pertinent, desktop software needed to update itself before itwould update my phone.

it gave me some error while trying to load the application modules and then just crashed.

now if i try to turn on the blackberry, it just loads up to the loading bar, the bar goes all the way to the end and stops there. 

i connected it back to the laptop and tried to repair. it asked me to update again. 

now when it tried to update, i get an error at the backup stage saying that application loader could not connect to my phone. and since the phone isn't working, it asks me to click igore and continue. 

then it tries to install the new updated OS. it gets through enabling RAM or whatever, erasing applications, loading system software, waiting for device initialization, reconnecting to JVM. when it gets to "loading application modules", it gives me the following error:

The Application Loader could not connect to you Blackberry device. try the following actions"

(see pic)

[IMG]http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt156/belseat/bbupdateerror.jpg[/IMG]

i tried all the steps and clicked retry a few times. no luck. what do i do? 

i wouldn't mind just restorng from my backup and using my phone like that. but i can't even get desktop software to allow for a restore at the moment. 

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Tried updating 9810. now blackberry won't start. won't update.

I've seen this happen before and believe me, it's frustrating.

You said you've tried a few times already so my advice might not be what you want to hear: Try again.  I've had it happen where I've had to try multiple times before it would connect.  Why this happens, I don't know.  I just know that when it comes to updating your phone, sometimes persistence is required.

Remember, if at first you don't succeed....maybe skydiving isn't for you.  No wait......try, try again.  That's what I meant to say.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
belseat

i've been retrying non stop now.

i did try to update it with an earlier version. for some reason when it's trying to download the modules, desktop manager gives an error saying that it could not download the earlier version and that i should check my internet connection. my internet is fine. 

if i re-try, it gives the error immediately without even trying to connect.

i thought there was something wrong with desktop manager, so i uninstalled and re-installed. same problems still. 

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Carrier: Rogers

It sounds like there's something seriously wrong with the update process.  It appears that you're doing nothing wrong.  Since Desktop Software is giving you so much trouble, I would suggest perhaps taking your phone in for a replacement.  If your phone is newer than one year old, it will be free to exchange it (well, there might be a service charge but your carrier is responsible for exchanging it).

I would suggest following through on this suggestion.  Once you have your new phone, you can load the backup file that you created.  I don't know why you're having these issues but I wouldn't waste much more time on it.  Get a replacement and load your backup file on it.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

P.S.  My suggestion seems drastic but I'm not sure what else to suggest.  If you want to wait and see what other members suggest, that's fine, however I believe you have an issue that's not going to resolve itself very easily.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
belseat

i think that may be what i'll have to do. the phone is literally one week past the 1 year mark. i just checked the receipt.
i wonder what i'll have to do to get it replaced. this sucks.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
belseat

turns out it was my desktop software that was acting up.

when i tried to update from another computer it worked perfectly the first time. i could even load up the back up from earlier in the day. 

Please use plain text.