Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
st2020
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: EE

UMA no longer working

I have a Torch 9800 working fine until about 3 weeks ago when it stopped making a UMA connection to my WiFi. It is otherwise working fine and I have changed nothing. It connects to the WiFi (Belkin) OK and receives email but I cannot get a UMA connection and this is vital as I have no mobile signal in my home office.

Any ideas please?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: UMA no longer working

Have you tried rebooting the device by removing the battery?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
st2020

Yes I have done so several times, and rebooted the WiFi too just in case. 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Does it give an error code under wifi diagnostics? It's been a while since I've had the 9800 but I think the diagnostics is in the manage connections menu.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Soosycue
My Carrier: Orange/EE

Hi

Not sure who supplies your broadband, or if you're in the UK. because exactly the same thing happened to me.  UMA stopped working about 6 weeks ago.  I have called Orange, and BT to no avail.  My UMA works in other places (my office, my friends house, the local pub).  The only difference is that they don't have BT infinity which we had fitted about that time.  BT assure me it's not the problem but it's the only thing that's changed during that time. Orange inform me that Blackberry are no longer supporting UMA because it's too expensive. I have tried all the options, re-booting the hub, removing the battery from blackberry etc. to no avail. I have been told Orange are bringing out a signal booster in the next few weeks which should work if you have some signal at home but not if you have zero signal.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
st2020

Sounds like you have exactly the same issue as me. Yes I am in the UK, I am with EE/Orange. My UMA simply vanished on 12th Dec, the phone connects to my WiFi (also EE) fine but no UMA. I am now told Blackberry have wiped it from the software by two techies and that Orange have 'phased it out' by another... nice of anyone to tell those of us who are reliant on it for a home connection.

I'm told the signal box will be on sale on 16th Jan... but I'll have to pay for it as according to Orange I have a signal... would I ask for a box if I had??

I think I go with the Blackberry theory since I did get out my old Nokia 6301 and it made a full UMA connection to my wifi first time. Only problem is that seemed to be a one off as it now won't connect to the WiFi at all and I don't know why, just fails.

I don't know where the 'too expensive' thing comes from, it's a piece of software surely, that I DID have.

O2 seems to offer a possible solution (the signal boxes only work at home not anywhere there's wifi like UMA does) they have an app that seems to do the same thing as UMA,I was dubious but  I've seen a couple of reviews Tech Radar and other that seem to rate it very highly.

Meantime I still have no phone connection...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
st2020

John,

No there are no error codes. I've had updates from Orange, been through the Engineering menu to manually reinstall etc etc.  After much conversation with Orange Techs and others it is reported that Blackberry have wiped it off the software...

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

If you did not change your OS on your device there is no way that it was BlackBerry that disabled it. If you had updated your OS and the capability went away then I'd agree that it was disabled by BlackBerry.

However, UMA is a carrier service that BlackBerry builds software to utilize. If the carrier's system goes down or is taken offline then the device cannot connect. I had it happen multiple times with TMobile US. It was never anything BlackBerry did.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
st2020

Yes I'll agree with that, it seems far more likely to me that it was the Carrier who have wiped it than Blackberry though I do connect the device to the Mac for automatic updates.  It would be about right for EE who seem intent on doing everything they can to loose all their customers.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Soosycue
My Carrier: Orange/EE

Hi Again

I am researching at the present time into an alternative to UMA, and will post my findins on this thread, if you would please do the same.  There are plenty of areas in the UK that have a weak or zero mobile signal, and we need to find a solution, as like you, we have to work from home frequently.  I was told that UMA (unlicenced mobile access) has to be paid for by someone.  I am not a technical whizz and don't understand how all this comes together, but find it hard to understand why it suddenly stopped working after 5 years.

Any info would be most appreciated.

st2020 wrote:

Yes I'll agree with that, it seems far more likely to me that it was the Carrier who have wiped it than Blackberry though I do connect the device to the Mac for automatic updates.  It would be about right for EE who seem intent on doing everything they can to loose all their customers.

Please use plain text.