Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: UMA stopped working - no choice for preferred connection

It sounds like a network problem or perhaps we received a software update we didn't know about.

Did you buy your phone from Orange or via a retailer like Carphone Warehouse (like mine) mine isn't a branded phone.

When I bought it I expected to have to load Orange software to get UMA but happily it came already enabled.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hi
I brought my phone 2 months ago from Best Buy unbranded (they're part of Carphone Warehouse). It had worked with UMA since I brought it. Maybe something to do with the T-mobile merge?

I have a customer who has 150 Orange branded blackberries that use UMA so Ill see on Monday if they get UMA still as that might rule out our unbranded theory maybe?
Contributor

I'll wait until next week to see what your client gets with their branded handsets.

If it's being unbranded that's the issue then I suppose it must be possible to re install the Orange software on the handset.

Cheers

Gordon

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

HI Gordon,

odd one. My customers with the Orange blackberry curve still have the options and UMA. I rung Orange and they mentioned that they had some problems last week but all should be okay now and to call them back if a battery pull doesn't do the trick. I've just pulled the battery and no luck. It might just be the need to send the settings to the phone again. I'll give them another call :smileysad:

Contributor

That makes sense, I heard form someone on the Orange forum with a Bold and their's was still working as well.

Must be a Torch issue or perhaps OS6!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: Orange

Me too!!

I have an unbranded Torch from the Carphone Warehouse on Orange which I upgraded to before Christmas.

About ten days ago the UMA logo stopped appearing and the preference option button disappeared from the settings menu.  It was definately there before!

'Phoned the Geek Squad who said it sounded like an issue at Orange.

'Phoned Orange and a very helpful person spent some time with me going through some settings and a battery pull. Eventually told me to reboot my router and the 'phone and she would call me back... which she didn't.

At the weekend my son upgraded his Bold to a Torch with Orange. He has the option button (exactly where mine was) and UMA logo. ( Connecting my Torch through his router didn't work either.)

One of the main reasond I went for a Blackberry was UMA the sinal where I live is appalling on all networks.  I have been with Orange almost all my mobile life.

Very very fed up and frustrated. 

Contributor

This all seems to be pointing towards a phone software issue, I noticed while trawling the BB site that there is a version of Torch software for Orange UK and a different one for Carphone Warehouse.

I couldn't find any info on how to load the Orange software onto the phone to try that though!

I assume your son's Torch is Orange branded.

New Contributor

Yes his Torch is Orange branded.

New Contributor

New Contributor

Hello Gordon and all.

Spoke at length to Orange Customer Services again today.

Very helpful and very patient.

However...

Firstly he told me that it as I do not have an Orange branded handset it may not work. I did tell him that it had been working but has now stopped.

He then told me that the UMA system is on overload and Orange are in the process of updating licences to increase capacity which should be in place by the end of this month.

Maybe then if the system is overloaded, maybe Orange have the capability to take away the service from their unbranded sets to give to their own handsets until the system is upgraded?  Just a thought.

If it had been an Orange handset and a fault diagnosed the help text to his screen said "replace handset" but as it isn't Orange branded then it is not supported by them so he said get the Carphone Warehouse to replace it.

He did suggest a Master Reset which I am about to try as a last "self help" resort.

Regards

Steven