Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
MuzzyG
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810
My Carrier: T-Mobile

★URGENT★ BLACKBERRY TORCH KEYBOARD TRACKPAD AND ALL OTHER BUTTONS NOT WORKING 9810

[ Edited ]

MY BLACKBERRY TORCH 9810 KEYBOARD AND CALL,ETC BUTTONS STOPPED WORKING.

My blackberry got ink at the top of the phone so I got a lightly wet tissue and cleaned the top part of the phone after I finished cleaning it, I recognised the keyboard stopped working. The touch screen still works but the physical keyboard and all other buttons have stopped working. Please help me, I really ened that phone for emergency uses, etc. I do not want to restore my phone so do not suggest that solution.

UPDATE: Right now I have my phone inside a bowl of uncooked rice. 

UPDATE 2: 30 minutes later, I took the phone and rebooted it the keyboard still does NOT work but the trackpad can move up and down but when pressing it does nothing.

PLEASE HELP NEED URGENT HELP.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: ★URGENT★ BLACKBERRY TORCH KEYBOARD TRACKPAD AND ALL OTHER BUTTONS NOT WORKING 9810

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

30 minutes is not enough...follow EXACTLY the instructions in this FAQ:

Also, prepare yourself for the worst...the only thing that is predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB is that the results will be unpredictable. Since you have already re-applied power to the BB too soon, it is much more likely that you have totally fried something inside.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MuzzyG

Re: ★URGENT★ BLACKBERRY TORCH KEYBOARD TRACKPAD AND ALL OTHER BUTTONS NOT WORKING 9810

Thanks alot. But keeping it for 3-5 days is alot especially if the blackberry has not been fully wet. It just blocked out after I was cleaning the lock button at the top with a LIGHTLY wet tissue then the keyboard and all other buttons stopped working.

Also, Is it possible if I can dry it faster by using a hair dryer? Thanks alot.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

The only instructions that I recommend are what I posted above. You are of course free to do whatever you choose. There is no way to predict the results.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MuzzyG

Oh okay.

ANYONE ELSE WITH OTHER SOLUTIONS???

and do you know if its safe to open up the Blackberry?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
GeminiNika
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Sprint

Opening up a BB will void the warrenty. Also, BB doesn't even like retailers with service centers to open up their phones. There's no real fixing anything other than an original curve 8330. The newer ones...well BB is very particular. Working in the phone industry myself and having cracked many phones of all varieties, I can safely say that BB is one of the most difficult and tricky device.

I don't recommend any heat, especially a hair dryer. Extreme temperatures, be it hot or cold, are just as likely to fry your motherboard as much as liquid and since your's is already acting up you are more likely to just do more damage.

Patience and luck are the only things you have on your side. You need to wait days before applying any sort of electrical current (battery/charging) to your device. Or you'll most likely just lose everything other than keyboard and trackpad issues. Right now your lucky because it still turns on and you'll likely be able to recover info if/when you replace the device if waiting doesn't solve your issue. Keep it in rice for 2-3 DAYS at least.

And I know you said the tissue was lightly wet, but ANY moisture at all is dangerous for electronics. I've seen people come in with issues having done nothing more than take their phone in the bathroom while showering and the steam condensed within the phone. It can take seconds or months for moisture to damage the phone but one thing is always certain. SOMETHING WILL GO WRONG. These are delicate devices.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MuzzyG

Oh okay. Thanks alot. I'll update what happens after 3 days of it being on rice. It has been on rice for one day now. Thanks though, I hope it works soon and I won't open the phone because if luck isn't on my side, warranty will (y) 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
william-a
My Device: blackberry torch 1810
My Carrier: at&t

i got the same problem , but mine didnt get wet , it just stopped working...how did you fix it?

Please use plain text.