Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Tim57
My Device: Torch 9810

Unable to Connect

Hi All

I am unable to connect to my Torch 9810 to reinstall OS. The history is as follows:

I first had an Error 606, white screen etc. Even if I hard reset with battery out the device would boot back up to the Error 606.

I read in forums like this that 606 was a JAva error and could be fixed with an OS reload. As I could not get the phone to talk to the Desktop software in the state it was in, I also read about starting in safe mode and successfully managed that. I then kicked off an OS upgrade from Desktop (I'm afraid I didn't note the current and new OS versions though I do remember that the phone was on a release of 7.0 and the upgrade was to a release of 7.1). Middway through, the install crashed. This was at the stage after wiping the existing OS from the phone and at the "Reconnecting to JVM" (or something like that) stage. Since then the phone will only respond to a hard reboot after which the red led comes on for a few seconds only, then goes out and the phone appears to switch off again. Because of this I am unable to connect it to my pc to retry an OS download. I have even tried pushing the download to it by kicking off Apploader on it's own in the brief few seconds when the red led is on and the phone is detectable by my pc. This hasn't worked either.

Is there anything else I can try to make it connect, or is it permanantly fried?

Any advice very gratefully received as I love the phone.

Tim

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Unable to Connect

(Credit JSanders)

There are two methods of recovery for you to try:

One:

• Open Blackberry Desktop Software & Connect your device with PC using USB cable, without inserting battery.
  • You will get three option Retry, Update Or Cancel, then click on update.
  • Once it is to the stage of the update "initializing handheld", then insert battery.
  • If this does not work, and you remain stuck on the backing up the Social Feeds database, go to the second method below.

Secondly:

• Start your BlackBerry in Safe mode.  Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Modehttp://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877
  • Connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Software and allow your handheld to connect. If you are prompted to upgrade, cancel the upgrade for later.
  • IF you cannot connect or your Desktop Software does not recognize your device while in Safe Mode, please follow the directions here to force the detect:  Article ID: KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • Go to Device > delete > SELECT DATA > select to delete both the Social Feeds and Smart Card databases, and follow the remaining prompts to complete it. 
  • Now, you can return and click to upgrade the device through the Desktop Manager, or reboot the BlackBerry in normal mode and continue the over the air upgrade.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Tim57

Hi

Thanks for the response. 

Option 1 successfully kicked off the update. Unfortunately it failed in the same place and manner as it did previously ie it went all the way through to the "Reconnecting to JVM" stage of the install 
and then halted with "Application loader was unable to connect with your device....". Disconnecting and reconnecting the device and clicking 'retry', as per the screen prompt, merely repeats the issue.

Option 2 doesn't work as the device no longer boots, so booting in safe mode isn't available.

Any other suggestions please?

Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hmmm...OK, then try this one...

It's written as a "next step" if JL_CMDER fails, but may well also be suited to your current situation.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Tim57

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your continued help.

It didn't work quite as described, as it did identify the USB port Removed personal information to comply withCommunity GuidelinesandTerms and Conditions of Usebut keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. I was able to start the OS load by kicking it off during one of the brief connections but the OS install failed in the same way, ie it completed the "Load JVM and system software" stage but during the next stage "Wait for device installation" I get the same error message, ie "Application loader was unable to connect with your device...."  I can hear the device disconnecting and reconnecting but clicking "retry" during one of it's brief reconnect periods still returns the same error.

Is there anything else I can try or am I looking at a hardware fault here?

I should add that I own the phone and use it with a PAYG sim so cannot get it repaired or replaced under contract. 

Many thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Well, with that symptom, my next thought is indeed something physical...but perhaps not the BB (yet). Have you tried a different USB Port? And, if you have one, a different BB OEM USB cable?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Tim57

Hi

It took me a while to get my hands on another BB oem USB cable but I'm afraid that changing cable and USB port have not made any difference to the symptoms. Do you think the comms port on the phone may be faulty?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

It might be...but it's impossible, at an internet distance, to diagnose that (or, for that matter, anything with 100% certainty!). Still, here's yet another recovery method you can try:

• KB27956 How to recover a BlackBerry smartphone from any state

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Tim57

Hi

Thanks for all the input but still no joy I'm afraid. All the suggested methods successfully initiate an OS install, but all fail at the "Reconnect to jvm" stage, with the phone going into a repetitive connect and disconnect cycle, eventually causing the apploader to fail with the "Apploader was unable to connect with your device...." error message. 

Any other suggestions or am I looking at a new phone??

Tim

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I'm out of ideas. Good luck.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates