Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
GregDz11
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Unable to connect BB Torch 9800 to computer

Hello All,

I'm trying to backup my contacts and transfer them to a new phone, however my data connector/battery charging port does not work. 

What are my options for pulling my 1k address book off my phone? Time is of the essence because my phone once discharged will not be able to be charged again.

Please help!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Unable to connect BB Torch 9800 to computer

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If you have been practicing good and regular backup procedures...then that is your best bet...such is often the savior for our priceless data (the device itself being a mere commodity).

If you used BB Protect, then your contacts should be there. They can only be used from there as the source of restore to a BB...no other use exists.

If you used the Desktop Software, your data would be in an IPD or BBB file, ready for restore to another BB (or, via 3rd party PC apps, extracting to a non-proprietary format).

If you were synchronizing with a desktop PIM (e.g., Outlook), then your data is there.

If you were doing none of this, then indeed you are in a bit of a pickle (which, btw, could easily have been avoided by using backups -- backups, like insurance, are neither a reactive nor an optional activity). In that case, you might want to consider finding access to an additional battery and/or external battery charger, because all of your options are going to consume a lot of power...and I've no idea how much you have left.

It is possible to configure the Desktop Software to use Bluetooth as it's connection between the BB and a PC. There are a lot of tricks to getting it to work right, but it is possible. If so, you can take a backup, extract your contacts to a CSV, synchronize to Outlook, etc.

If you still have BIS, you can activate BB Protect and backup your data to it. Of course, what I said earlier still applies.

Beyond that, I really can't think of any options for you given your circumstances.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
GregDz11
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Unfortunately the user of this phone never maintained backups. It has a wifi connection but the cellular connection has been disabled (since the user got a new phone).

Is there anyway to register to BIS through the WIFI?

I'm unable to connect through Bluetooth because it asks me to first connect the device to the desktop before configuring the bluetooth.

Is there anyway to e-mail/transfer contacts to a SIM card or SD card?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

GregDz11 wrote:

Is there anyway to register to BIS through the WIFI?

No. BIS is a service, delivered by the mobile service provider. Some BIS services can be utilized via WiFi, but the BIS service must be active. From what you describe, that is not likely so.

GregDz11 wrote:

I'm unable to connect through Bluetooth because it asks me to first connect the device to the desktop before configuring the bluetooth.

Is there anyway to e-mail/transfer contacts to a SIM card or SD card?

I've heard of backups via SD card, but never have had to do them. You'd need to look in the user manual and/or the public KBs:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.