Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Aucturus
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Etisalat

Unique Contacts transfer / sync problem - Torch to Z10

Events as they happened:

1. I have a BB torch 9800. Which I have been happy with for a couple of years.

2. Just bought the Z10 and wanted to transfer my devices.

3. Downloaded Link and followed the instructions. IMPORTANT NOTE: HJd to disable Wireless syncing on the Torch to start the sync and backup through desktop manager.

4. Took a back up of my old BB jsut in case (thank god).

5. Completed the transfer and deleted / reset the Torch.

6. Noticed that Z10 was MISSING a lot of recently created contacts.

7. Went back to restoring the Torch and finding the problem.

8. Noticed that the device transfer stated that only NON-ONLINE contact items (not linked to MSN, Gmail , etc) will be transfferred. OK THEN!

9. I had 4 email accounts on the Torch. Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail and a Private domain (IMAP).

10. Didnt realise before that over the last two years the setting in the Default account / contact list to save new contacts was Hotmail.

10. OK, I thought no issue, means these new contacts I created over the last two years should be on my Hotmail. IMPORTANT NOTE: Since at that time WIRELESS SYNC was enabled. I just disabled it at the time of the shift a few hours ago.

11. Nope! contacts are not on Hotmail. they are only in the phone.

12. OK lets try to backup the contacts and rtestore on the Z10. Didnt work. Same issue, only NON-ONLINE contacts are restored.

13. Lets try to sync Hotmail contacts on phone with the online Hotmail address book. Perhaps then i can re-sync it with Z10. Didnt work. I CANT FIND THE WIRELESS SYNCING OPTION. The option has disappeared!!! My SIM is in and working fine. I restored the Torch and upgraded the software to OS 6 service patch.

14. I have checked a hundred times under Contacts - Options - click on the contact list. Nope, no option to turn on wireless syncing.

15. Checked the Setup - Email Acocunts, Contacts option is ticked there. Checked default service - Reconfirmed all are set to Hotmail. Checked Email Reconciliation options - Wireless reconsile is enabled in there for all accounts. The Service Books - Shows two services for Hotmail account CMIME and CICAL

I added quite a few contacts over the years. I cant afford to loose them. What do I do?

My phone wont sync the contacts added under Hotmail to the hotmail address book and the new BB desktop manager and link wont let me sync contacts that are on ONLINE contact lists such as of hotmail and gamil.

Im stuck! please help! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Aucturus

Re: Unique Contacts transfer / sync problem - Torch to Z10

Oh yes almost forgot to mention. i tried syncing Torch with Outlook and then syncing Z10. Doesnt work. the missing contacts do not show up in any contact list in Outlook and the whole process jsut ends up creating duplicates of my already existing contacts.

plus no idea if Z10 even syncs with Outlook as there is no option to select where or which list in Outlook it will sync with.

Thats another issue and I'll get to that later.

First I need a fix for the Torch contacts issue actually gettign the contacts out of it. Then we can worry about gettign them onto Z10 later!

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

EDIT: Ok, scratch most of the following as I didn't see your follow up message in time.  Give me a bit to figure out an alternate option for you, but in the meantime, look the below over, just in case it can help.

Hi Aucturus,

Can you go into your Hotmail account and see if the contacts are listed there? Turning off Wireless Sync should do anything except to stop the sync from that moment forward. Anything that was on the server should have remained.

But given that it didn't work, try doing the following now that you have restored your Torch.

1. If you have Microsoft Outlook installed on your computer, sync the contacts from your Torch to Outlook. Once you have them on Outlook, make sure they're all there. Note: if you have Outlook set to sync to your Hotmail account, click on Send/Receive and then skip ahead to step 4.

2. Next, export your contacts to a .csv file. The specific instructions may vary depending on your specific version of Outlook, but here is a link that will give thorough instructions on how to do this. http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/outlook-help/export-contacts-HA101870639.aspx

3. Log into your Hotmail account on the web. Look at the top left corner of your Hotmail (where it says Outlook) and click on the down arrow, then select People. You will then be given an option to add contacts using a file. Use that option to upload your .csv file and import your contacts. Double check the list to ensure that you don't have any duplicates, etc. Hotmail can help to clean up your contact list as well. Once everything looks good, proceed to step 4.

4. After a little time (e.g. 1 hour), check to see if your contacts have synced to your Z10. If not, there are two things to try. One is to change your sync to manual sync on your Z10 (under Settings > Accounts > Hotmail > Advanced Options). Give it a little longer than the sync interval and check again.

5. If step 4 didn't work, delete your Hotmail account from your Z10, restart the Z10, and then readd your Hotmail account again. This will push everything from the server, including your contacts.

If you aren't able to use Outlook to sync your contacts, let me know and I'll see if there is something else I can come up with for you.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Hi again Aucturus,

I was trying to check out the BlackBerry Knowledge Base and was reminded of something you can try.

Did you happen to have your contacts organized into groups? If so, here is a KB article that may help sort this out:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33578

The best way to double check is to log into your Hotmail account on a computer and check your contact list there. If there are any groups, delete those groups for now and the contacts should sync. If you don't have any contacts listed in your Hotmail account, that's another issue we'll have to sort out.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Aucturus

Hey Krypto, Thanks so much for taking the time to try and help. Please note comments below.

“Can you go into your Hotmail account and see if the contacts are listed there? Turning off Wireless Sync should do anything except to stop the sync from that moment forward. Anything that was on the server should have remained.”

That’s what I thought. But I went and checked. They aren’t there and that is the real problem. If they were there then it should auto sync with my Z10. Plus Microsoft changed Hotmail to Outlook.com and now all my contacts are on there from Facebook, Google and the like. I separated them using account filters but still found that none of my contacts added on my phone have been stored online.

“1. If you have Microsoft Outlook installed on your computer, sync the contacts from your Torch to Outlook. Once you have them on Outlook, make sure they're all there. Note: if you have Outlook set to sync to your Hotmail account, click on Send/Receive and then skip ahead to step 4.”

This was my second thought. But the New Desktop Manager does not sync contacts of online accounts like Hotmail. So none of the contacts get synced there either.

2. Next, export your contacts to a .csv file……

3. Log into your Hotmail account on the web………..

Since point 1 doesn’t work point 2 and 3 are not possible. I would have done that, it struck me too but even Outlook and Desktop Manager don’t communicate L for Hotmail contacts.

4. After a little time (e.g. 1 hour)……..

5. If step 4 didn't work, delete your ……

Contacts aren’t in Hotmail….. 
The whole issue is I need to either get the contacts listed under ‘contact list Hotmail’ on my phone to sync with my Hotmail account. This doesn’t happen. Or to get these contacts exported somehow to upload in outlook or Z10 and then go from there. Either of the above two options are not working.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Aucturus

There are no Groups in my Hotmail account .... so thats been ruled out :smileysad: ....

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Aucturus

this isn't a common persons user freindly fix but I got it done... the hard way... had to stop being lazy, do some research, and start my techie days again....

every blackberry backup has .ipd and some other geberish files....

there is a free program magic berry that basically extracts these files and presents them to you.... so in other words... you hack the backup files and get whatever info you want out of there exported in a csv...

if you cant find magicberry you can rename the .bbb file to .zip and get the .ipd file out yourself....

open in notepad and convert if in readable format... else get a text exractor...

I used the magic berry... was much faster... either ways you can get whatever info you want out of these files....

pity i had to go through all that... now i need to sit and import these to outlook...

then delete the huge numebr of duplicates....

..... bangs head on table.....

anyone know of a contacts merger for outlook .... sigh ....

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Not a lot of fun. But I'm glad you found a long way around...

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zaba76
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64 OS2.1
My Carrier: O2 UK

Aucturus wrote:

..... bangs head on table.....

anyone know of a contacts merger for outlook .... sigh ....

Am having all sorts of problems synching z10 with hotmail actvesync... but I can tell you that outlook.com / hotmail does have a duplicate contacts cleaner if that helps you out. Maybe you can sync outlook on your pc with outlook.com contacts using the outlook.com hotmail connector http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2013/02/how-to-setup-outlook-to-wirelessly-synchronize-your-contacts-... and then import the contacts to hotmail / outlook.com, followed by a cleaning out the duplicates from the manage contacts option online. This should theoretically then sync with your outlook on pc.

This is just from the reading I have done to fix my own issues and what I have seen in my own hotmail / outlook.com contacts.

hope it helps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'LIKE' me if it makes sense...

PS. The BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook rock with the QED uPlay!
Please use plain text.