Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada
Accepted Solution

Unlocked 9810 confusion

Hi,

I'm having some problems registering my unlocked Rogers 9810 on the Virgin Mobile network. I have a few questions that I keep getting conflicting answers from people about, I thought this was probably the best place to come for answers.

First off, when I put my SIM in the phone and go through the entire switching process (including switching phones on the BIS system and my carrier's system), the phone has no problem connecting to basic text, calling and data services as long as they're not running through the Blackberry system. None of the Blackberry services work, no BBM or BIS. Now, my carrier's system when I do the switch says the manufacturer and OS of the phone is unsupported, but I know they did sell the 9810 at one point. I cannot register the phone with the HRT or get the service books to send, so I have a few basic questions for anyone who could help. I currently have a 9800, so my account is already set up for Blackberry services.

1- Firstly and most importantly, would this phone be compatible with the Virgin Mobile network completely or is there some hardwired in difference between the phones made for different carriers that would prevent it from working.

2- If compatible, what exactly do I have to ask my carrier to register. They keep adding my IMEI to my account and it keeps saying UNKNOWN as the type of phone. I just need to know, as simplified as possible, what to ask them for. I keep getting passed to people who confess to me that they don't know much about Blackberrys. I feel like I'm not using the correct wording with them when I ask them to register the phone on their system.

So thanks for any advice. Obviously the big question is compatibility. If that's my problem, I'll just sell it on eBay to someone who has the proper carrier to use it.

Solutions: 6,153
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Unlocked 9810 confusion

Yes, the 9810 should work on Virgin Canada.

You might need to ask two questions...

Is the IMEI on any blocked or blacklisted database?

Can Virgin enter the IMEI into their IMEI database so that your device will register on the network.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Okay, as far as I know the phone is clear. I've called Rogers and they said the phone is new and has never been registered, likewise I've had the PIN checked through the @BlackberryHelp on Twitter, they said it was clear and just needed to be registered by my carrier.

I'll try asking for it to be entered in the database and see if it gets me anywhere. Thank you.

Good luck, hope you get it done.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Contacted Virgin Mobile, finally got through to someone who was extremely helpful. He can't get the phone to register with RIM, he says it looks like the PIN and the IMEI maybe don't match.

So now, instead of guessing, he needs to escalate your issue up to RIM level tech support and give you a ticket number on the issue.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well I'm not on the phone with him any longer and don't know how to get back to him. He told me to contact them myself.

Wish I'd known to ask that before I hung up.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10-STL100-4

Don't you have redial? Call them back and start over.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.

This "He" who told you to contact them yourself is yahoo. They know you can't contact RIM directly without an escalation from the mobile provider. Sorry for the troubles.

Call them back, they should have records of your call and explain you need the issue escalated up to RIM level tech support. If they refuse, plead or ask for a manager.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Of course I have redial. It's that I don't remember his name and have to run through all the customer service people between me and tech support to get to him.

It's just a pain. I'm just complaining to complain. It's been a long week of this.