Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
son7ofadam
My Carrier: ATT

Unlocked torch wont go on Blackberry network

I have a Torch 9800 that was on the Telus network and had unlocked. I used it briefly on Att go phone plan without Blackberry services. While on a business trip to Canada switched it to Virgin mobile prepaid plan all my Blackberry services worked just fine. Returned to the States and decided to bite the bullet and lock it onto a plan with Att now I dont have any of my blackberry services called them up made sure it was on a Blackberry data plan (it wasnt) added Blackberry Data restarted the device but still no Blackberry services (no 4 dots after 3G) Att says they cant do anything because of it being another carriers phone. Im thinking about downloading the software from Blackberrys website for the Att torch 9800 just wondering if theres another easier fix or if the software will even work or maybe brick up my phone. Thanks 

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,747
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Unlocked torch wont go on Blackberry network

The on-device operating software, whether ATT or Rogers or from China Telcom, doesn't matter, it's all the same with only personalization from the local carrier.

You need to ask ATT if your IMEI and PIN is registered on your account with ATT.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
son7ofadam

I tried contacting Att regarding the issue and their response is that they dont provide support for non att branded devices. And that its the settings inside the phone itself. I feel all they want to do is lock me onto a 2 year contract with a new device. There has to be some way other than my phone not saying att on it theres no differance in the Torches they use and mine. I also tried requesting ne service books to no success it sent the request and thats it. 

Please use plain text.
JSanders

But, ATT does provide service for BlackBerry Internet Service, regardless of where you bought the device.

So, you need to ask them the SPECIFIC question I posed above.

• Is the IMEI and PIN of the device registered on your account?
  • If not, is there an error they see when adding it?
  • Confirm they have the BlackBerry BIS Data Plan on your account.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
introtime
My Carrier: Airtel

[ Edited ]

Your AT&T network locked Blackberry is not fully unlocked. That is why it gives such problems. You need to unlock it fully to get full previlege. You can unlock your Blackberry Torch safer and easier using unlock code. You can get the unlock code for your Blackberry from http://www.simpleunlocking.com/blackberry-unlocking-service/rs16wp10/ at affordable cost with free unlocking instructuons.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
son7ofadam

The issue was corrected. Att's system never reconised the torch as a Blackberry. I switched sim cards from my Att Curve and the torch worked fine so called them back and explained and that time (sixth call) they got it working. Seriously if Verizon used GSM I'd be on their network my experiance with ATT has been issue after issue.
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Thanks for the follow up

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Jlfjohns
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

I have a related question. I have a torch 9800 on the bell network in Canada. I am traveling in Australia for a month and would like to use my phone here during my stay. I successfully unlocked my phone ( I think ). I hadn't purchased a prepaid SIM here yet so I put my Bell SIM in again  but am now unable to get bbm services using my original SIM.

I am concerned that I will be unable to use bbm and internet with a new SIM. I was able to send a text with a borrowed SIM but it doesn't have internet services for me to test with.

Employees of the various carriers here are not very familiar with BB, I asked in about 5 stores Expressing concern that following unlocking I cannot use bbm with my original SIM.

Do you think my phone is really unlocked? If I purchase a prepaid SIM will I be able to use bbm and Internet?

Why does the original SIM not work? In addition to unlocking have the internet  and bbm network connections been turned off?

Thanks for any info, if you want more details please let me know.

UPDATE: I borrowed a SIM card with data and can access Internet but still no functional bbm. 

Please use plain text.