Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

penny764
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Username for email setup

Hey, 

I've had my torch for a little over a year now and when I first set up my emails, everything worked perfectly fine with it, but now it won't let me recieve emails to my phone at all from my gmail account. My first problem was that I needed a password as I thought I knew my username, so I went on blackberry's website and changed my password. My problem now is that it still won't allow to use my setup and says the combination is wrong, which means my username is wrong. On the blackberry website it says my username is my email address and when i try to change it to a normal username, it says that it has to be an email address. But on my blackberry torch when i try to put in my email address as my username in my email setup it tells me that 'the username is invalid. A user name must be at least 4 characters' and I found out that it's the @ sign which makes it invalid. 

How can I find what my username is, or change it so that I can restart my email or at least check that it works, because i cannot send emails either as it says that the account is in invalid mode. 

Also, my wifi hasn't picked up any wifis at all, even though it used to. Is there anywhere I can turn it on or anywhere where I could possibly have something turned off without knowing it? It's very frustrating when it doesn't find any networks, when I'm standing right next to a perfectly working router. 

Thanks, 

Penny 

New Contributor
JeanIngram
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Username for email setup

Hi, I have experienced more or less the same problem for the last few weeks, I have just managed to sort it out....

I also kept on putting in my email username and password, my blackberry world username and password.... all the usernames and passwords I could think of and it didn't work.

I phoned my service provider (MTN - South Africa) they told me I needed to take my phone in as it was the phone's username and password??????  I knew he was talking rubbish, so I called someone who is clued up with Blackberry's and asked him.  He told me to phone my service provider back and ask them for the username and password they give when you register your email address with them.

I did this and they gave it to me..... now it works!!!!!

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

charl_marie1
My Device: curve 8520

Hey i have had basically the same problem i had a blackberry and set up emails and that on it and was fine i lost my phone and they sent me out a new one and ever since i havnt been able to connect my blackberry to my emails. i have tried online on blackberry ID and my password is right but when i go onto email setup on my phone and try sign in it says "blank username type a valid username" when i put my email in and when i put in the usernames i think i would of used it says that its incorrect and to retype username and password i have no idea what to do x

New Contributor
sali
My Device: Not Specified

This has been most helpful. I have struggled for over a day ever since I updated my Bold 9700 from OS5 to OS6. After the overnight update I realised there was a problem with synching Outlook. I then found this post http://www.alanhart.co.uk/archives/2011/11/18/blackberry-email-setup-does-not-work-after-update-to-o... which helped me install the missing Email Setup component. There was still a problem following this as my login credentials were not recognised until I found your post. Neddless to say that my service provider was not even contactable during this time!

My emails are finally coming through as I type. Many thanks :Rockon:

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

You can always try going to your carrier's self-serve BIS site to set up email addresses on your phone (your carrier will help you with it along the way) or you can type www.blackberry.com/integrate from your phone's browser.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
sali

One last thing - you may need to switch your handset off and on before receiving emails!

juliecolman
My Device: Torch 9800

I am having exactly the same problem, however, I contacted my service provider (vodafone) who told me that they couldn't help and that I needed to speak to Blackberry - I have been searching this website high and low for 2 days and CANNOT find a number or email address to contact anyone, if anyone can help either with the contact problem or the email user name problem then please let me know

New Contributor
sali

The login details you need to intially enter are those for your Vodafone Blackberry account. This is separate from your login credentials for your email account and your Blackberry World account. I am with Orange and had simply forgotten that I had a separate Orange Blackberry account with a different usrname and password until I read the post by JeanIngram on 03-01-2012. Vodafone would have provided you with a username and password when you set up your Blackberry account with them. I would suggest that if they are unable to help you over the phone you go through their FAQ section and fire off a support email asking them to provide you with the necessary login details.

I do hope this helps. Keep us posted and good luck!  

Zedder
My Device: torch

That is the best and most useful post I have ever seen.  It worked for me and I thank you........fromt eh bottom of my heart.  :womanvery-happy:

New Contributor
beatles
My Device: Style 9670

Does not work for me.I tried entering my provider{sprint}user name and password.Nothing. Went back to internet provider user name and email,stiil nothing.