Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
sajidgidda
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

Using UK Torch on AT&T

Hey all,

I have a Vodafone Torch which is unlocked. I want to get a US contract plan (via a friend) on AT&T so I can always have the same number over there, get 3G and BIS etc. I wanted to know if my Torch will work like it does here over on AT&T?

I've tried comparing the bandwidths that Vodafone and AT&T list and from what I can see they are the same. Assuming the Torch is identical in both markets, there should be no problem right? I can't seem to get a definitive answer on this. here are the links to both carriers page for the Torch, if somebody could check the bandwidth issue or knows from experience that would be most helpful, thanks!

Vodafone UK has their Torch listed as working on the 850/900/1800/1900 bands
BlackBerry Torch - Buy the BlackBerry Torch on Vodafone (under Specifications)

AT&T has the following listed under specifications but I don't know what it means
UMTS: 2100/1900/850/800 MHz (Bands 1,2,5/6) GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Using UK Torch on AT&T

Hello and welcome to the forums, sajidgidda!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you will be able to do everything on AT&T that you can on Voda, with the exception of using AT&T's 3G here in the States.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sajidgidda
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

Ah OK the 3G is pretty important to me, I think if it didn't work on my English device I'd have to buy an AT&T Torch. Any idea as to why it wouldn't work? The frequencies looked the same to me but I'm hardly an expert

Thanks for the quick reply!

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

I'm no expert either, but your Torch was manufactured specifically for use on the Vodafone network.  AT&T's is configured to work on theirs.

Again, I could be wrong, but I don't think one translates to the other, if that makes sense.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Please use plain text.