Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Using Wifi in the U.S. With my BB Torch 9800

So last week I traveled to the United States and I was told that I would be able to connect to the internet using WIFI.  First thing I did was go to MANAGE CONNECTIONS and go to MOBILE NETWORK and turn off DATA SERVICES and WHILE ROAMING.

I then connected to the free WIFI that was available at the coffee shop.  When I tried to connect to the browser I got an error message "UNABLE TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER"  So I went to a kiosk and contacted ROGERS my SP.  They assured me that on their end all the steps that I mentioned above were correct and that I need to RIM.  Now I've been various user forums on-line and there is no real solution or fix to this problem.  Some forums suggest that I need to have this phone unlocked in order to use the WIFI feature in other countries.  Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any solutions to this problem.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS; PlayBook w/OS
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Using Wifi in the U.S. With my BB Torch 9800

You can't turn off data services otherwise nothing will work, not even wifi. The best way to do what you were wanting is to just turn off "while roaming."
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!