Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

kemp0070
My Device: Not Specified

Re: VERY SLOW, LAGS & FREEZES!!

My Torch is BRAND NEW also and freezes, almost with every click, irrelevent if I navigate via the touch screen or the track pad... reminds me of the old AOL dial-up days!  Totally unacceptable for my needs!!!  Are we awaiting a patch as one other poster referenced, or is this simply a design/ hardware flaw?  I need to make a move b/c I can't work like this.  Sure makes it hard to continue to avoid the iPhone.

New Contributor
freespool
My Device: 9800 Torch

robertl594 wrote:

Torch has real issues.  Did not want to believe that the under powered processor (older processor from previous models) would be an issue but I suspect that it is the root of all problems related to locking up.  My Torch locks up for at least 10 seconds everytime I unlock itWaiting for a device to respond is not an acceptable process for me.  It should work as fast or faster than me. That is absolutely intolerable.  I find it hard to believe that RIM would develop a new product with a new operating system to compete with all other choices and use an old processor. Its going back for a refund.  When BB gets it right, let me know.

BTW, I have shut down as many apps as possible as not to stress the processor and no difference.

RL

:manmad:

Posted this in another thread but my comments should be here as this is exactly the problem I'm having:

Like others in this thread I have to lock my device due to it being used for business.  95% of the time when I unlock my phone it locks up and becomes unresponsive for 5-10 seconds.  This is incredibly annoying and I hope its resolved in whatever OS updates RIM has planned.  I am getting use to most of the other changes on the phone (loved my 9700) but this locking up is about enough to make me want to use another device. 

New Contributor
robertl594

I have an RMA from AT&T, It goes back tomorrow.  Cannot work this way.   Moving back to my 9700.   Send them all back to RIM, they will hopefully get the message and fix it.  Another huge annoyance is the fact that I mute or put my calls on hold when my ear touches the screen when I am on the phone.

This has to be the worst BB I have had, and I have had them ALL.  Such a disappointment.

RL

Developer
Marc_Paradise
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...

[ Edited ]

No problems lanuching any single app here - operations are all very snappy.  I've also not seen any troubles when unlocking -it's always instant though occassionally *lock* takes 1-2 seconds.  However - it's also likely that at any given time (even when doing nothing at all except looking at the screen)  the clock will appear and block everything for 3-10 seconds.

When the wait cursor goes away, almost everything that I did while it was runing gets processed - so if I touched the screen when the wait cursor was up, it will process the "touch" after the clock goes away.  The exception here is that a subset of the keyboard inptu seems to get lost - perhaps it can only hold a limited amount when showing the clock.

This was a factory-clean 9800 install; several apps were installed but carried over via my AppWorld installation. Nothing was installed via device transfer (as I've had that break too many things -- even the first time I set up my Torch, it broke apps...).  Several games (not running when the issue occurs); the only apps that would have startup components are those provided by RIM (various IM clients, facebook, twitter, et al) and one that I wrote myself and verified as not contributing (it terminates shortly after running at startup).

I don't think this is a CPU performance isue - to see the difference, run a poorly written app (like Audible's horrid player for their audiobooks) and try to play a game at the same time.  The audio continues in the background with occasionally missed speech; and gameplay is very sluggish. The phone gets hot as teh CPU is taxed -- but this doesn't cause freezes/lockups of any duration.

Instead, it seems like something is grabbing a critical resource and not letting it go - causing all apps in the system to get blocked from running. 

This is my second 9800 - the first one was returned due to camera issues not seen in the second one; and both devices have had the same problem. I also have tried both the official OS6 and the leaked OS6; and the behavior is exhibited in both.

(Outside of this, I'm actually very h appy with the phone - my favorite so far.  I just hope this gets fixed.)

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

New Contributor
muttt17
My Device: Blackberry 9800 Torch

So, I see everyone complaining about the lag and I have the same issue.  It is a business phone and is therefor password protected.  When I type in my password to access new emails, SMS, etc, it can take anywhere from 10-20 seconds before I can do anything.  Including simply touching the email icon to launch.  

So, is there an answer yet?  CPU or OS?  I have 15 more days to return it and if this is the best it is going to get, not acceptable.  

That being said, once it does "wake up" it runs fairly smooth.  And no, I don't have a bunch of killer apps on it.  

New Contributor
robertl594

When I am wrong, I admit when I am wrong. After BLASTING RIM for putting out a bad product, I starting thinking about why, are they are that incompetent that they would put out a product that just does not work, or would they? So I pulled the Torch out of the RMA return envelope before I sent it back and did the following based on a suspicion that I had about why I was having problems.

If you are doing enterprise activations, that may apply to you.
I did a full backup of my old phone and put that in a file. We then reset my profile on the BES. Allowed that to sync. I restored to the Torch CERTAIN databases, including autotext and browser favorites. Then did a new enterprise activation. I did not install any third party software.

Phone works fine now. I will slowly add applications that I use to see if this causes a problem. My thinking is that somewhere, somehow, a file got corrupted and caused the freezing and delays.

I suggest that you do the same if you are experiencing this issue especially if you are migrating from BBOS 5 to 6. I am currently using OS 6.0.0.141

Now I can truly see if I like this device.
New Contributor
jamesliu
My Device: BlackBerry 9700

I am having the same problematic issues as well. First, I used "Switch Device Wizard" to move my data from my 9700 to the 9800 with major freezing issues. Then the second time, I did a factory reset and reloaded everything from scrach with out DM and I am still getting the same freezing issues.

I am very disapointed in BlackBerry for putting out such a shotty product. I have been a faithful BlackBerry user since the 8700c. This is very frustrating and unlike RIM.

The device's hardware is built solid, like a typical BlackBerry, but the software of this phone is way to buggy. Hopefully there is a software update in the works or the 9800 is getting returned and I am switching to the Captivate. :smileysad:

Regular Contributor
omsoft
My Device: AT&T - BB 9800

I have the same problem. Each time I unlock it, it freezes for a few seconds.

Also, when I go to email, it does the same thing.

Very bad software.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Option, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on #Torch. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on.

I found out that Social Scope was eating away CPU cycles on mine. It is a beta product and I was testing it, its not ready for OS 6 yet.

Good luck.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer
Marc_Paradise
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...

I would suggest *not* using the device switch wizard. It seems like that restores some things that it shouldn't - in my case it copied over apps thay weren't compatible with os6, and which caused issues of their own when I tried to run. The best thing to do is take a backup; then manually restore the info you need (autotext, messages, address book, etc). You'll have many fewer issues in the long run.

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.