Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Developer
Raestloz
My Device: Z10 STL100-1

Videos gotten from iPhone 3GS get heavily distorted

Here's the scenario:
My sister has an iPhone 3GS, and my mother has a BlackBerry Torch 9810

Whenever my sister records a video and send it over via WhatsApp, the video would get distorted, it gets stretched horizontally, so faces become wide. This persists even after said video is transferred to other mediums

It should be noted that all the videos that she sends are rotated -90 degrees, so it might be more accurate to say that the videos are stretched vertically.

The BlackBerry is new, and a check for update via Wireless Update says the OS is already latest version. Note that the carrier's "latest version" may not be the latest version available from other carriers worldwide.

This is not the iPhone's fault, by the way, as videos sent to my BlackBerry Bold 9700 are not stretched. Still rotated (so I have to rotate the device itself to watch it), but not stretched.

This is not an isolated case, as my sister's mother-in-law uses a BlackBerry Torch 9810 too, and it suffers the same problem.

By the way, the OS is already 7.1. I don't know the exact build number, but if the latest build solved this issue , I'll just go ahead and download it.
BlackBerry Z10
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Videos gotten from iPhone 3GS get heavily distorted

if you tap the video while playing there is an icon on upper right to set the play type of original or fit screen, that might be all you need to do

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer
Raestloz

No, it's not the solution, have tried it. The video thumbnail explicitly displays a distorted picture, meaning for some reason either the device or the WhatsApp for 9810 screwed up the transfer process, distorting the video itself. At least that's what I think happens.

By the way, the video format is mp4. I don't know the exact specifics, but perhaps there's something in the way it's encoded that the device interprets wrong? I'll see what happens when I transfer the undistorted video from my 9700 to my mother's 9810
BlackBerry Z10
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Raestloz wrote:
No, it's not the solution, have tried it. The video thumbnail explicitly displays a distorted picture, meaning for some reason either the device or the WhatsApp for 9810 screwed up the transfer process, distorting the video itself. At least that's what I think happens.

By the way, the video format is mp4. I don't know the exact specifics, but perhaps there's something in the way it's encoded that the device interprets wrong? I'll see what happens when I transfer the undistorted video from my 9700 to my mother's 9810

an exact copy sent to teh 9810 should work fine. it might be whats app does something to it during the transfer

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Developer
Raestloz

It looks like it's WhatsApp's problem

My sister sent one of the same (distorted) videos to me, and they're perfectly normal on my Bold 9700, I sent it to my mother's Torch 9810 via Bluetooth, and it's not distorted.
BlackBerry Z10
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

thanks for ruling it out

Developer
Raestloz

I've sent an email to WhatsApp support team about the problem. Hopefully they can give definitive answer
BlackBerry Z10