Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
Accepted Solution

Visual Voice Mail #44608

Have an unlocked Torch 9800 and since it's been unlocked we have instances of sent and received text messages showing the number 44608.   No messages have been physically sent or received from this phone and the times showing for sending have been when the phone is turned off.

Have googled the number and it appears to be tied somehow with Visual Voice Mail which is not used on this phone.  Would like to remove it but appears it can't be done without great difficulty.

Have been in touch with our provider to ask if the phone can be blocked for text messages as my husband doesn't text but I would really like to have it available if the need arises.

We don't use most of the "smart" features on both our Blackberrys as they are used for basics.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2243; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Visual Voice Mail #44608

Do the messages have any info in them? Have you tried replying "STOP" to the messages? If they really are voicemail message related then your carrier is the only one that can do anything about them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Hi John

There is no place on the phone that these messages show up other than if I go into Visual Mail and it shows last time accessed.  

Also no record on the phone showing any message or voice mail sent or received.  These messages have been sent when the phone is turned off which is confusing.

Starting to get a little concerned!

Thanks

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2243; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

The voicemail system (and also visual voicemail) itself is based on text messaging. So, even if you don't have "visual" voicemail just the small voicemail notification is a type of text message, just not one you should be getting charged for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

thanks for your help. Will get in touch with our provider to see if voice mail can be disabled.
Guru I

Why would you want to disable voicemail? You don't want people to be able to leave you a message when they call and you don't answer??
New Contributor

We don't have voice mail included. Our phones are more for emergencies than anything else so just have bare bone plans.
Guru I

OK, I've done a little Googling myself and I think I see what is happening. This is considered a "premium" text message and you're getting charged for it.

The problem is that the phone is meant to have visual voicemail using a data plan and every time the phone boots up it looks for this service and sends the message. From what I've read the only way to get it to stop is to remove the visual voicemail app from the device. If you're up to it I can walk you through the steps.

I will need some information from you, though. What is the exact OS version that is installed on your device? Look in Options >About and it should show it on the 3rd line down...e.g. v6.0.x.xxx. Also, did you purchase this device directly from Telus?
New Contributor

Hi John
thanks for the info on Visual Voice Mail. The phone has OS6 on it so will be changing that to OS7 which doesn''t have it.

Thanks for the offer of the help. I've wiped and reloaded OS on my own phone so with baited breath hope not to have to go that route.
Guru I

If you're on a 9800 there is no OS7 for the 9800. If you have a 9810 OS7 is available.

The fix I read was to remove the visual voicemail.cod file from the device. It sounds simple and it is but it's not intuitive.

I can help you but I need you to answer the questions I asked above. Exact OS version and if these devices came directly from Telus or if they're branded to a different carrier.

We need to install the OS to your computer and run app loader. However, the difference in what we will do is we'll remove the visual voicemail.cod file from the OS folder and run app loader. It will then remove the Voicemail cod. That's the only way to fix it, at least according to what I've read. I literally wrote the book on this process of cod file removal back in 2008 so I do know what I'm doing.