Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Regular Contributor
samos
My Device: torch

WiFi use in europe

Im going to Europe on vacation. Ill get a SIM card there so i can make phone calls. But if can I somehow use WiFi to send emails and browse, so I wont be charged either to my SIM card or my home account?

Thanks

JSanders
Solutions: 5,983
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: WiFi use in europe

Nope, your BlackBerry data (email BBM, etc.) won't work if you insert a foreign SIM card with NO BlackBerry data plan on the account. Remember, once you remove your SIM card, you disconnect yourself from all your home carrier data plans (and thusly, your BlackBerry Data Plan).

What country are you from, what mobile provider do you have at home, and where are you traveling?

And what model # BlackBerry?

If you had that information pre-filled in your profile here (see to the left, under your name "My Device Not specified"), it helps answer questions without having to ask.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
samos
My Device: torch

I shud have mentiooned:

i'm in canada, with bell mobility.

i'm going to italy and spain.

i have a bb torch.

JSanders wrote:

Nope, your BlackBerry data (email BBM, etc.) won't work if you insert a foreign SIM card with NO BlackBerry data plan on the account. Remember, once you remove your SIM card, you disconnect yourself from all your home carrier data plans (and thusly, your BlackBerry Data Plan).

What country are you from, what mobile provider do you have at home, and where are you traveling?

And what model # BlackBerry?

If you had that information pre-filled in your profile here (see to the left, under your name "My Device Not specified"), it helps answer questions without having to ask.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,983
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Ok, first, find out your international data and SMS options with Bell Mobility.

I was in France and England last month for ten days and found that with my own home Verizon international data rates I would be better off for that period of time.

Otherwise, as said above, if you swap SIM cards for a local card, you will be giving up data (email, bbm, etc, and some apps data). You will have voice and SMS for local calling and SMS. You will still pay on the local SIM, international SMS and voice rates if calling back to Canada (because now, you will have the Italian SIM card in).

So start with Bell.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
davidjbd
My Device: Playbook 64GB, Blackberry Torch

When I travel to Europe, I keep my Canadian/US simple cards in the phone and switch off roaming and data, then I use WiFi for email etc. I purchased a cheap mobile phone (prepaid) for phone calls, international calls I use Skype with my computer. For Business (where the company pays) I inform the carrier and am put on an international plan for the period I am away.

A number of the different credit card companies can actually arrange for a phone to be picked up at the airport and provide you with the number before you go.