Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810
My Carrier: Fido

Wifi without DataPlan is this possible on a 9810?

My wife and I have smartphones. I set mine up for Cell data (no data plan) and Wifi. So I can get internet services at home and work through routers, and at community centres and (we have kids) McDonalds.

I bought a 9810 to replace my wife's old 8310, hoping that she could get the same services as me, she loves Facebook. But without Data turned on, I can't use browse the Internet on her Torch. What am I doing wrong?

Older blackberries had different browsers for different services, but that was when I used them Corporately. The menu has changed so much; I have no idea what to look for now.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Wifi without DataPlan is this possible on a 9810?

No, you don't need a data plan to surf via Wi-Fi on a BlackBerry, but you must have Data Service switched to ON.  You might also have issues with some sites with no BlackBerry data plan (aka BIS for BlackBerry Internet Service) but most should work okay.  If you have any issues, try using the Opera mini browser.  By the way, on the 9810, it'll select the appropriate browser for however you're surfing.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.