Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Wrong keys typed when using virtual keyboard

I've seen some other virtual keyboard issues on here, but haven't seen anyone specifically report this one.  Sometimes when I type, the wrong letter gets entered on the screen, even when the pop up preview of it is correct.  It's very easy to replicate.  For instance, I can sit there and tap the R key over and over again on the virtual keyboard and keep seeing the little preview R pop up under my finger, but every once in a while and E, the key to the left of it, will actually get typed on the screen.  Happens with all letters.  Seems to happen when you're a little too close to the other letter, but again, the preview pop up letter is always on point.  If everyone is experiencing this I'll assume it's a SW issue and wait for an OS update as I rarely use the virtual keyboard, but if i'm the only one I'll look into a replacement...

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Wrong keys typed when using virtual keyboard

I make a few typos in virtual keyboard too. the screen picks up on the first part that contacts the screen and the rest of the contact after. try not mashing your finger and just lightly touching it with the tip of finger

when typing, suretype will kick in and help with mispelled words most of the time.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

better solution: upgraded to the leaked 6.0.0.214 OS and haven't had the problem since.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

I was having the problem that after awhile of the phone sitting idle when I would go to unlock it with my password, the on screen keyboard would select multiple letters and or totally not work. I would have to take the battery out to reboot it and then it would work.  was getting tired of having to do that many times through out the day.   I was thinking of returning it when I came across this thread and noticed the leaked release mentioned.  I installed it 2 nights ago and it has been working like a charm. Have not seen the problem since.  I also noticed that the battery seems to have a longer life.

RIM better hurry up and release that leaked version or they will lose customers.

Trusted Contributor

calecp01 wrote:

I've seen some other virtual keyboard issues on here, but haven't seen anyone specifically report this one.  Sometimes when I type, the wrong letter gets entered on the screen, even when the pop up preview of it is correct.  It's very easy to replicate.  For instance, I can sit there and tap the R key over and over again on the virtual keyboard and keep seeing the little preview R pop up under my finger, but every once in a while and E, the key to the left of it, will actually get typed on the screen.  Happens with all letters.  Seems to happen when you're a little too close to the other letter, but again, the preview pop up letter is always on point.  If everyone is experiencing this I'll assume it's a SW issue and wait for an OS update as I rarely use the virtual keyboard, but if i'm the only one I'll look into a replacement...

ya gotta be careful not to drift your finger on the way up.  been there.  i hope it gets fixed.

New Contributor

my issue wasn't just the letters. I could select the app, like messages, and try to delete it with the red X.  When I would do that, the compose an email would (all the way to the left) come up.  The screen just went nuts on my selections. So I went the 214 leaked OS.  It worked without a flaw for a few days and then the same things started happening.  I've now installed the next 225 leaked OS and things seem to be working again. 

I just don't think the Torch is ready for prime time. I would not recommend it to anyone.  get a droid or iphone.  Only reason I use it is becuase my employer provides it.  Once they retire me I will get a phone that works ..  iphone or droid.