Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
vgbaron
My Device: Torch 9800
Accepted Solution

battery icon red x or ?????

New battery charged to about 60%. Downloaded and installed BB Protect. Reboot BB - get battery icon with RED X. Searched and tried several things - remove battery & reinstall - no joy. Plug into charger - can't get rid of red x - held red phone icon to turn off - no joy. Have spare battery at home but wonder if bb protect install could have done something?

Any ideas?

Thanx,

Vic

Forums Veteran I
Boomer56
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Re: battery icon red x or ?????

Installing BB Protect shouldn't have horked your battery at all.

What happens if you leave the device connected to the charger for an hour or two?  Have you tried that to see if the X goes away after a time?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Contributor
vgbaron

will give that a try and report back!

Vic

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Let's make sure we cover every base regarding charging.

When you charge your phone, use the wall charger instead of a USB or car charger.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
vgbaron

Had it plugged into a USB port for 4 hrs - still red X - just plugged it into the wall charger - will wait a bit. Going home in 1 1/2 hours and I have original battery there. Will try it.

Is it possible the battery just went bad or might it be the phone? Only had it since mid January.

Decided to try an aftermarket battery - replaced the original with this one and charged it - no problems. Today it showed 60% - downloaded & installed BB protect - rebooted - red X.

I'm hoping it's just a flake battery.

Vic

Contributor
vgbaron

Wall charge had no effect. Came home - put original battery back in - has about 30% charge - BB started up nice and pretty.

So what's the verdict? Bad battery?

THanx,

Vic

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

It might be worth it to take it to your carrier and explain the situation.  Tell them what you read in this thread and that nothing is working.  I can't see them giving just a battery, so maybe they'll replace the whole phone.  One word of warning, though.......if you're going to take it back to them, do a back-up via Desktop Manager beforehand.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

jen0612
My Device: blackberry curve 8530

I am having the same thing happen with a blackberry that I just bought off the internet.  They said that it is the battery and are sending me a new battery... Hoping this will fix the problem.  At least I have 30 days to send the phone back but I have had the phone plug in through the wall and my computer just to see if it was the charge port and its connecting to the computer but still have the battery with the red x on the phone.

Contributor
vgbaron

ultimately my problem was the battery - even though it was brand new, it was defective. Replaced it and all has been fine ever since.

Vic

mimmie1963
My Device: Blackberry Curve

Hi Vic

I had the same problem recently. The phone nor the charger is the problem here. The problem is the copycat blackberry batteries. I believe these batteries are not made with the same power as the name brand. You have to buy the original blackberry battery. The name blackberry have to be on the battery, also the gray color on the battery is much darker.

Make sure that when you go and buy a new blackberry battery, you walk with the phone and let the people you are buying the battery from but it in the phone for you. When you see the phone start loading the battery is good, if not tell the seller to try another battery or go to another store.