Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
lec206
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Orange

buttons not working on my 8900 Orange

Okay, fairly sure my blackberry is a bit of a lost cause but any help would be greatfully recieved. Basically all the buttons on the phone have completely stopped working though i can move the trackball. I haven't dropped it recently although i have had a very emotional day (thank you bank fraud) and have been crying into my phone a fair bit, could it potentially be water damaged. I've tried taking the battery out, leaving it for a period of time and then trying again but nothing. Also only the middle letters of the keyboard light up and the light on the menu key keeps flickering. Any help greatfully appreciated, im having the worst possible day

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: buttons not working on my 8900 Orange

1. Remove the battery immediately!! Do not attempt to turn on your BlackBerry.
2. Let the device dry in a warm, dry place for 3 to 5 days* (see below)
3. DO NOT "check it each day" by placing the battery in. Leave it be to dry completely. This takes time. Replacing the battery to check it can only damage it more (moisture + electrical current = disaster).
3. If the device is warm after the drying period, allow it to cool to room temperature before placing the battery back in.

*Suggestions on drying your BlackBerry in a warm place (open, with the battery out):

• Place the BB in a container of dry UNcooked rice, and then you might also place it in any of the locations mentioned below.

• On top of any dry heat emitting electronic component: TV cabinet or CRT, LCD, cable TV/Satellite converter box or plasma monitor

• On the dashboard of your car on a sunny day

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lec206
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Orange

thank you so much! I have to admit to being really impatient (and stupid) and putting the battery in and trying to get it to work a few times, will this soloution still work?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Dan_DR
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: telkomsel

If your phone potentially be water damaged. you have to disassemble your phone and clean it. Do not forget to dry them before you install again. This must be done to prevent corrosion in the future. If you can not do that call the service center nearest

I'm new
help me
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Dan_DR wrote:

If your phone potentially be water damaged. you have to disassemble your phone and clean it. Do not forget to dry them before you install again. This must be done to prevent corrosion in the future. If you can not do that call the service center nearest

Disassembly of the device is not neccesary, but could help. If you dry the device as I described in rice for 4-5 days, you should be good.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
JSanders

lec206 wrote:

thank you so much! I have to admit to being really impatient (and stupid) and putting the battery in and trying to get it to work a few times, will this soloution still work?

It should, but powering the device up and off several times and/or charging it while wet is the worst thing you can do.

Will it work? You won't know for 5 days.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.