Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
pwl13
My Device: Torch9800
Accepted Solution

can't browse or receive my emails via WiFi

Ever since getting my Torch9800 I have been unable to use the WiFi connection only to browse the web, use apps or simply download my emails.

To do any of these I always have to have 'data services' on (i.e. go via my network provider).

Can anyone help please.

thanks,

pwl13

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: can't browse or receive my emails via WiFi

Hi pwl13

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Community Forums

On Manage Connection > we must Turn ON our data services , otherwise you won't recieve any data on your 9800. Our BlackBerry browser will always choose the preffered connection , i;e if you're connected to a wifi network then it will choose wifi as prefered mode for data , not your Network provider .

If you want to confirm that , then while connected to a wifi network with data services ON , Go to Manage Connection > Service Status > BlackBerry Internet Connection > you'll always see WiFi rather then Mobile network.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
pwl13
My Device: Torch9800

thank you prince2012. this is helpful - confirms my gutt feeling all along.

after a recent visit to the provider's shop and their manipulation of the handset my 'data services' icon is not coming even if i set it to 'ON'. In fact the only time the icon in the top right hand corner of the screen is visible is when data services are ON together with WiFi.

Result - I stopped receiving emails and the apps are not working (the only thing working is the web browser).

Any ideas on this one?

again - many thanks!

pwl13

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Hi there,

By Data Services icon are you referring to those arrows on the top right corner which fluctuate when data transmit to and from our BlackBerry ?

As you're having problem with emails and other I suggest doing those steps in the same sequence but over your Carrier Mobile network , but not over wifi  :

1- Register your Handheld .

• KB00510 : How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Wait till a Registration messages comes in your message box.

2- Delete and Resend your Service Book

• KB05000 : Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB02830 : Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • ( Wait till a Registration Message comes in your message box for each email that you have configured on your device )

3-  Then perform a battery pull restart like this while the device is powered On remove your battery wait for a min. then reinsert it back

Please try those steps and let us know how it goes.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.