Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

angelawalters
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: tmobile

email - setup new email address

trying to add a new work email address

get invalid email address or password

I have checked them loads of time and they are correct, and have spoken to the admin at work and

he assures me the details are correct and does not know why is won't work.

A colleage did the same process on their blackberry bold and had no problem

Please advise.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: email - setup new email address

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Is this "new work email address" POP or IMAP? If so, have you attempted the advanced integration methods? Or, via your BB Browser, to www.blackberry.com/integrate ? Or, via PC/browser, to your carriers BIS website? Or, contacting your carrier to find out why it won't configure? And have you validated that this account is otherwise accessible from the Internet?

Or, is this "new work email address" BES? If so, then you need to use the Enterprise setting and obtain credentials from your BES admin.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
peteberry
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: PlusNet

Re: email forwarding - setup new email address

Hi, I have the same problem, except that I've already successfully set up two non-standard/own domain email addresses for forwarding. My Torch 9800 won't accept the 3rd set up. Is there a limit of number of own domain emaill addresses you can add? I've already had an O2 'guru' check it and try to enter new details without success! Any budding BB guru's out there who can explain why this 3rd set up doesn't work? (not too techie-speak pls). Thx, PW
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

peteberry wrote:
Hi, I have the same problem, except that I've already successfully set up two non-standard/own domain email addresses for forwarding. My Torch 9800 won't accept the 3rd set up. Is there a limit of number of own domain emaill addresses you can add? I've already had an O2 'guru' check it and try to enter new details without success! Any budding BB guru's out there who can explain why this 3rd set up doesn't work? (not too techie-speak pls). Thx, PW

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Well, lacking details of how it fails (e.g., error messages), it's impossible to diagnose. Typically, a BIS account can integrate 10 personal email accounts, though it's possible for each carrier to throttle that, I suppose...of course, only they can answer that question for you. But, again, from merely "won't accept" and "without success", it's rather impossible to make any useful guesses.

But, some things to check.

1. Make 100% sure that this email account can be accessed via the internet via other means -- webmail, Outlook on PC, a different mobile device, etc. If the account is not accessible via the internet, then it can't be integrated to BIS.
  2. Make 100% sure that you know the exact settings (server address, ports, etc.) that are required -- and bypass the "wizard" in favor of the Advanced Integration screens, where you input the settings yourself. If you don't know the settings, you may need to ask the email service provider for them.
  3. Ring up O2 again, but this time don't let them fob you off so quickly. You see, that's exactly what they did. Consider -- who do you pay for your services? You pay O2. As part of that, they are responsible for 100% of your service-related formal support. Right now, they seem to be delivering neither service nor support to you. They have the power to escalate up to BlackBerry for enhanced support if such is needed...from what you report, it really sounds like that "guru" tried once and failed, but didn't even bother to give you any reasons. Not terrific service, IMHO.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
peteberry

Hi and thanks for your speedy reply.

Should have added the message I get is "invalid email address or password".When I continue to enter my details using the POP/IMAP button, I get: "Cannot login, verify your username and password." I'm then referred to myself for help!

Regarding your points to check:

1. Make 100% sure that this email account can be accessed via the internet via other means -- webmail, Outlook on PC, a different mobile device, etc. If the account is not accessible via the internet, then it can't be integrated to BIS. Yes, already works and has good access via other sources.

2. Make 100% sure that you know the exact settings (server address, ports, etc.) that are required -- and bypass the "wizard" in favor of the Advanced Integration screens, where you input the settings yourself. If you don't know the settings, you may need to ask the email service provider for them. Yes have these from the service provider, but never got as far as ports. Where are the Advanced Integration screens?

3. Ring up O2 again, but this time don't let them fob you off so quickly.  The O2 'guru' actually tried several times to input my email details onto my Torch in the shop, then put the issue out on the guru community blog to get more answers, so they did try but without success. Shall I ask them to escalate issue to BB?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

peteberry wrote:

Should have added the message I get is "invalid email address or password".When I continue to enter my details using the POP/IMAP button, I get: "Cannot login, verify your username and password." I'm then referred to myself for help! 

I need to be crystal clear here...the error pops up when you specifically are already inside of the email configuration wizard, and are truly providing your email credentials? Or, does the error pop up as you are entering the wizard, when it asks for your BIS credentials. BIS is the system that you are accessing via the wizard, and inside of BIS is where you email credentials are stored. But, BIS itself has it's own credentials to secure what you have stored inside of BIS. So we need to be crystal clear as to which one this is.

And, I don't at all understand "I'm then referred to myself for help!"

peteberry wrote:

1. Make 100% sure that this email account can be accessed via the internet via other means -- webmail, Outlook on PC, a different mobile device, etc. If the account is not accessible via the internet, then it can't be integrated to BIS. Yes, already works and has good access via other sources.

Excellent...so we rule that out as potentially causal.

peteberry wrote:

2. Make 100% sure that you know the exact settings (server address, ports, etc.) that are required -- and bypass the "wizard" in favor of the Advanced Integration screens, where you input the settings yourself. If you don't know the settings, you may need to ask the email service provider for them. Yes have these from the service provider, but never got as far as ports. Where are the Advanced Integration screens?

To access the Advanced Integration screens, you need to first intentionally make an error on the first prompt for email credentials. Provide the valid email address, but intentionally err for the password. That will re-paint the same screen, but add to the bottom a tic box for "I will provide these settings manually" or something like that. Fill in again the credentials, but now tic that box and continue...that will provide a screen where you then fill in the additional details (server address, ports, etc.).

The wizard works by inquiring, of the server (based on the email credentials you provide), for those additional details. Not all email servers are coded correctly to provide a valid response, and then it simply fails, requiring the use of the Advanced Integration screens to manually provide the required details.

peteberry wrote:

3. Ring up O2 again, but this time don't let them fob you off so quickly.  The O2 'guru' actually tried several times to input my email details onto my Torch in the shop, then put the issue out on the guru community blog to get more answers, so they did try but without success. Shall I ask them to escalate issue to BB? 

But what they didn't provide you was any details...unless they, too, got the same result that you added (the actual error message). Also, the guru certainly should have known about the Advanced Integration screens -- those, actually, are much closer to a "basic" level of this than a "guru" level (from a paid support professional perspective).

It also may be a case of proper entry of the details...for example, if you've got a mixture of different characters in your password, then perhaps have not noticed how you must enter those on the BB keyboard. For instance, if your password is

• ab123

and you enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > 2 > 3

the actual result will be

• ab1er

You must enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > ALT > 2 > ALT > 3

in order to wind up with ab123. So, in this example, while on the BB keyboard you think you are typing ab123, you are actually typing ab1er.

You also may have better luck using this URL from your web browser:

You also may have better luck using, from a PC/browser, your carriers BIS website (if they have one...you have to ask them that question as well).

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
peteberry

Re: email forwarding - setup new email address Hi, thanks for your helpful replies. Will attempt to answer each one. peteberry wrote: "Should have added the message I get is "invalid email address or password".When I continue to enter my details using the POP/IMAP button, I get: "Cannot login, verify your username and password." I'm then referred to myself for help!" I need to be crystal clear here...the error pops up when you specifically are already inside of the email configuration wizard, and are truly providing your email credentials? Or, does the error pop up as you are entering the wizard, when it asks for your BIS credentials. BIS is the system that you are accessing via the wizard, and inside of BIS is where you email credentials are stored. But, BIS itself has it's own credentials to secure what you have stored inside of BIS. So we need to be crystal clear as to which one this is. "Am already inside email config wizard using my correct email configs. Not to do with BIS." And, I don't at all understand "I'm then referred to myself for help!". "It just asks me to contact 'peterwelchcoaching.co.uk', which is me!" peteberry wrote: "Where are the Advanced Integration screens?" 2. Make 100% sure that you know the exact settings (server address, ports, etc.) that are required -- and bypass the "wizard" in favor of the Advanced Integration screens, where you input the settings yourself. "Yes have these from the service provider, but never got as far as ports." To access the Advanced Integration screens, you need to first intentionally make an error on the first prompt for email credentials. Provide the valid email address, but intentionally err for the password. That will re-paint the same screen, but add to the bottom a tic box for "I will provide these settings manually" or something like that. Fill in again the credentials, but now tic that box and continue...that will provide a screen where you then fill in the additional details (server address, ports, etc.). "Ah, was using these already!. I'm entering the email details myself. Tried again but with no siccess. Get msg: Cannot login, verify your username and password." It also may be a case of proper entry of the details...for example, if you've got a mixture of different characters in your password, then perhaps have not noticed how you must enter those on the BB keyboard. For instance, if your password is ab123. "Have taken this point on-board and entered my alpha/numeric code v carefully - no success. Get same msg. Any more options to follow?" You also may have better luck using, from a PC/browser, your carriers BIS website (if they have one...you have to ask them that question as well). "Will try that - it's O2. Thx"
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

peteberry wrote:
And, I don't at all understand "I'm then referred to myself for help!".
"It just asks me to contact 'peterwelchcoaching.co.uk', which is me!"

That is extremely odd...so odd in fact that I've never heard of it before. The exact information might be helpful...the exact steps, etc. that you undertake to get to that point. But that result is something I've never before heard of.

peteberry wrote:
peteberry wrote: "Where are the Advanced Integration screens?" 2. Make 100% sure that you know the exact settings (server address, ports, etc.) that are required -- and bypass the "wizard" in favor of the Advanced Integration screens, where you input the settings yourself. "Yes have these from the service provider, but never got as far as ports." To access the Advanced Integration screens, you need to first intentionally make an error on the first prompt for email credentials. Provide the valid email address, but intentionally err for the password. That will re-paint the same screen, but add to the bottom a tic box for "I will provide these settings manually" or something like that. Fill in again the credentials, but now tic that box and continue...that will provide a screen where you then fill in the additional details (server address, ports, etc.).
"Ah, was using these already!. I'm entering the email details myself. Tried again but with no siccess. Get msg: Cannot login, verify your username and password." 

Very strange...and how does it get from this point to the above (instructing you to contact yourself)?

peteberry wrote:
It also may be a case of proper entry of the details...for example, if you've got a mixture of different characters in your password, then perhaps have not noticed how you must enter those on the BB keyboard. For instance, if your password is ab123.
"Have taken this point on-board and entered my alpha/numeric code v carefully - no success. Get same msg. Any more options to follow?"

Only everything already listed.

peteberry wrote:
You also may have better luck using, from a PC/browser, your carriers BIS website (if they have one...you have to ask them that question as well).
"Will try that - it's O2. Thx"

There remained other options already posted above that I don't think you mentioned this time. (Of course, given the format of your last post, it's terribly hard to parse and find specific information...).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
angelawalters
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: tmobile

This is a new work email address with POP and I have tried the advanced settings.

My IT dept thinks it has something to do with the trust certificate.

My old work email (which had trust certificate issues as well) worked okay, it's just when I have updated the blackbery operating system it stopped working.

Can you advise a way around it?

works find by internet access on PC, but not on blackberry.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hi again!

Thanks for the clarifications...but...

angelawalters wrote:

This is a new work email address with POP and I have tried the advanced settings.

There were may other methods, besides Advanced Settings, to try...did you try them? Sometimes, one method will work while another will fail.

angelawalters wrote:

My IT dept thinks it has something to do with the trust certificate.

My old work email (which had trust certificate issues as well) worked okay, it's just when I have updated the blackbery operating system it stopped working.

Can you advise a way around it?

I once had to do something with a certificate...it was several years ago now. I had to use my PC to extract the certificate  (via IE, with the WebMail interface visible, I think) and then import that into my BB. It has been quite some time, and I really no longer recall the exact steps. But this KB might help:

• KB13355 How to load a network security certificate on a BlackBerry smartphone

There are several more KBs as well...searching the KB site with "certificate" might produce more useful results. Your IT people might need to help with the step of extracting the certificate via IE. I know it took me a while to figure it out and it was far from simple and intuitive. But I do recall it being ultimately successful.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.