Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
RJVB
My Device: Playbook 64Gb
My Carrier: none

how to deactivate mobile data and preserve WiFi function? [9800]

Hello,

I recently got a used Torch 9800 for my girlfriend, to go with a new contract where she'll have a small amount of 3G mobile data, just enough to keep in touch with her email when not covered by WiFi.

I've tried to set up her phone like I configured my iPhone, i.e. deactivate mobile data, in order to keep in control when this is used.

The problem is that when I do that via what seems the logical way (deactivate mobile data in the mobile connectivity page, just above the setting for roaming mobile data access), WiFi access is apparently blocked too, even though the strength indicator still shows a good connection to the base station.

What am I missing or doing wrong? Should I look for an app to take care of this operation, or is it not possible to do what I want (I cannot imagine that, if not only because WiFi works fine when there's no SIM card in the phone)?

I should add that she doesn't have a mobile data option on her current contract, nor of course a specific Blackberry option ... but I don't really see why that would matter. I've also tried to enter the operator's APN info (gleaned from their site), but that doesn't appear to make any difference either.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: how to deactivate mobile data and preserve WiFi function? [9800]

Older BlackBerry devices (pre-BB10) require a BlackBerry data plan (aka BIS) for full functionality. If you don't have BIS on your account, many features including Wi-Fi browsing will not work properly.

I hope that helps you. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RJVB

You may be right but I don't see the point because 1) wifi works for all apps that do not themselves require BIS and 2) BIS is supposed to work over wifi as well....

If no other answers come up, we'll see in a bit over a week when the new contract starts and on which I think we can request the BB option.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

Exactly what data are you turning off? If you go under Manage Connections on your homescreen then you click Mobile Network, you'll have the option of turning off your Mobile Network signal. Go ahead and do that if you wish. You'll also have the option under Data Services to turn off ALL data. You don't want to do that because Wi-Fi is data and you don't want to stop it from getting to your phone.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RJVB

I tap the date/hour indicator on the homescreen, then Mobile Network Options, and there I turn off Data Services ... and that acts as if ALL data services are shut off, not just the ones carried on the mobile network.
The browser for instance will claim it cannot connect to the internet.

Again, what I try to do is prevent the phone from using data ("going on the internet") over 3g or Edge behind my back, to save my dataplan for when I need it.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

Then what you want to do is turn off Mobile Network but leave your Data Services on. Make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi and your phone will use data over Wi-Fi and not over your cell network.

Whatever you do, make sure you leave Data Services on.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RJVB

OK, so I wasn't clear enough yet - I do want to keep the phone function ...

The idea is to have a phone that also serves as a PDA, permanently when covered by a known WiFi network, and on demand when not. If I understand the implications of your suggestion correctly, already have what I'd get — an iPod Touch :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

Unfortunately, the only way to have the phone function while not using your Mobile Network connection would be to subscribe to UMA, or Wi-Fi calling, from your carrier (if they support it).

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.