Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
suekiddle
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

ideas to improve my battery standby life

I'm a long-standing BB user - having previously had the curve and bold versions. I've just upgraded to the new OS7 Torch 9810 and found a MASSIVE difference in the standby time. I'm used to getting a whole day - sometimes 2 days battery life on my Bold but now find with limited use - it's only lasting at best 5 hours.

I've tried all the tips - reduced screen brightness, made sure wireless and bluetooth is off, removed any unnec apps, closed all apps. Yet with say 2 texts, 2 brief calls and receipt of 20 e mails per day (without opening attachments) - I still get only 5 hours!!. Can anyone suggest any other ideas please as I don't want to resort to buying a spare battery but the nature of my job takes me out of battery charges all day

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,840
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: ideas to improve my battery standby life

You definitely should be getting more than 5 hours. If you're moving in and out of good signal areas that can reduce the battery as it searches for a signal.

What apps are you running on your device?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
suekiddle

Thanks for your quick response. I only have Facebook, Maps and 4 games - and don't use any of these

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Can you open the Facebook app for me... are you asked to login or not?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
suekiddle

Yes I am asked to log in on facebook - so that's not open?
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on #Torch. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Also turning off Compression in Option, Device, Storage can help too.

I assume you did a batttery pull ?

Try a Battery pull please, with the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery 15 seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot device. This will clear all cache like rebooting a PC. Then try again and see if your problem persists.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
suekiddle

Thanks knottyrope. I've tried all of your suggestions including the battery pull (which I hadn't tried previously) and also removed the compression feature.

The 2 main usage of the CPU so far had been 2 game apps which I had tried a couple of times but have now decided to remove. I'll see what happens next few days - thank you for your ideas.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you are welcome, let us know how it is after 24 hours

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
JSanders

suekiddle wrote:

Thanks for your quick response. I only have Facebook, Maps and 4 games - and don't use any of these

So, we have to just take at face value when you say "and don't use any of these", meaning the four games.

It appears one or two of them were running in the background. Don't assume (I shouldn't) that not using something doesn't mean you've left it running in the background.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
suekiddle

It's been 24 hours and the battery has been much better today despite a lengthy call - hurrah - whether it was the battery pull or the other things you suggested - who knows but it's worked. Thanks for your help 

Please use plain text.