Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
jaredrampartap
My Device: torch 9810
Accepted Solution

memory device encryption won't turn off

I wish to use blackberry protect but ever since i got my phone it has a little lock next to the checkbox to turn off the encryption so I can't turn it off. I upraged to os7.1 but the problem remained. Can anyone help me?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: memory device encryption won't turn off

Hi jaredrampartap

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

From where you bought that device , is that a used device or brand new that you bought from your Carrier Digicel ?

let us know.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I'm not sure about the correlation between encryption and BB Protect...you jumped from one to the other at whiplash speed in your post...don't understand.

But, nevertheless, if Encryption is active and locked, then the most likely answer is that your device has an IT Policy on board that requires Encryption be active. You can check for the existence of an IT Policy via this method:

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If you are on BES through your company or otherwise, then you need to stop now and talk to your BES admins as they are in control of the IT Policy on your device.

If you are not on BES, then somehow you have received a device that was once on BES, and whoever provided it to you did not properly cleanse it before giving you the device. You can cleanse it now, but it will be totally destructive. Therefore, please start by reviewing the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post and ensuring you have a full and complete backup.

Once you have a backup, you can proceed with this to cleanse your BB of the IT Policy:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Afterwards, when you restore, DO NOT do a full restore...rather, only do a selective restore of those databases you require (e.g., contacts, calendar, messages, etc.) and specifically avoid any databases that have anything to do with IT Policy, Enterprise, etc. If you restore those, they will dutifully restore the IT Policy and you will be right back where you started.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jaredrampartap

Hi, i bought it from  a canadian person so the original carrier is rogers. If i do the factory reset will i go back to OS 7 and hafta upgrade back to 7.1?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

jaredrampartap wrote:

Hi, i bought it from  a canadian person so the original carrier is rogers.

Given that, I definitely suggest you check for an IT Policy. Also, refer:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

Hopefully the seller conducted all of their steps...for if they did not, then you may have even more problems ahead of you.

jaredrampartap wrote:

If i do the factory reset will i go back to OS 7 and hafta upgrade back to 7.1?

The ResetToFactory process does not actually load the OS onto your BB...you would have to do a different process in order to do that. So, it should remain unchanged.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jaredrampartap

thank you so much! the factory reset worked like a charm!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Excellent...I'm glad that worked for you. You are most welcome, and enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.