Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
juniorhashim
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: orange
Accepted Solution

my blackberry torch fell into a basin of water

yesterday evening my blackberry torch fell into a small basin of water.

even though i retrieved it immediately and it was partially covered in a case, it will not power up.

the sim card is working in another mobile phone.

is it possible to recover - one suggestion is that i leave it open to dry it out for around 5 days and try again.

it has aslo been suggested that i put it in a bag of rice and leave in in an airing cupcoard to try and dry it out.

any experiences or ideas?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: my blackberry torch fell into a basin of water

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

If the weather where you are is anything like it's been where I live, perhaps the device was merely trying to cool off.  :smileyhappy:

I would wrap the device in a microfiber cloth of some sort, then insert it in a bag of rice as suggested and leave it to try for a few days.  Hopefully after that period of time all the moisture will be sucked out of the device and it becomes operable again.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you're aware, water and electronics don't mix, but I've heard some great stories about devices having recovered after using the rice method!

Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

There's some good advice from Boomer56.  I've heard from some people on these forums that it's not the water that kills the phone, it's the trying to power up while there's still water in the phone.  One inspiring story even tells of how a phone was dropped in a lake, where it remained for 15 minutes.  The user did not try to power up but rather used the advice offered by Boomer56 and the phone made a full recovery.

The secret is PATIENCE.  Get that rice out, get the phone and battery into it, and for goodness sake don't even think of powering up the phone for 4-5 days.

Good luck with everything, and please post back if your story has a happy ending.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
juniorhashim

i may have tried to start it a few times over the past few days.

it is now in the airing cupboard in a plastic bag of rice with the battery and back cover(all disconnected)

i go into hospital tomorrow - 01 august - for a hip operation(4-5 days before i am released).

when i come out i will check it again and if it is not working i will take orange's offer of a reconditioned replacement for £164(plus a committment to 4 months insurance at £6/monthly).

i will check this forum for any last minute solutions before i commit.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

I can save you some time and effort in your search for other solutions:  there are none.

Your phone MUST be put into rice and left in a dry place and you MUST leave it for the recommended 4-5 days.  There are no ways around that and no shortcuts; that's the only solution.

Good luck with your hip surgery.  Once you're released, have a go with your phone again and please post back and let us know your results.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
juniorhashim

surgery went fine - had to replace the phone
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Glad to hear all is well on both counts.  :smileyhappy:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

I, too, am glad to hear about the successful surgery.  I'm sorry you couldn't recover your phone but it sounds like you're getting another one from your carrier so you won't be without one.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.