Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
jeni225
My Device: torch 9800

problems with text icon

when i press the text icon it says 'uncaught exception:java.lang.indexoutof bounds Exception' and a ok sign which does nothing. i can text by clicking on messages and then compose a text message so not too bothered but just wondered if anyone knew what it means. orange said restart to factory settings which i dont want to do. thx jeni

Forums Veteran I
Boomer56
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Re: problems with text icon

Hi Jeni!

Welcome to the forums.....

What OS do you have on your device? You might want to consider an upgrade to your OS which will overwrite and fix your text message issue.

First, though, have you tried a hard reset?  With the device powered on, remove the battery for a few minutes then replace it.  If the message persists, we'll consider the OS upgrade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor
jeni225

I don't know what OS I have but I probably will upgrade it. I tried the hard reset and it didn't work. Is it free to upgrade your OS? to be honest I don't even know what OS stands for lol but I'll look it up. Thx. Jeni
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56

If you click on the Options icon on your home screen, then go to Device>About Device Versions, you'll find your OS (which stands for Operating System :smileyhappy: ) on the third line down.  It will look something like v.6.0.0.xxx.

Yes, it's free to upgrade your OS.  :smileyhappy:  Do you use a lot of third party applications or themes?   Below are instructions for upgrading.

Download the most current OS for your device, which you can get here. https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=9461CCE28EBE3E76FB4B931C35A169B0

On your PC, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader. Delete the file at the bottom called vendor.xml.

Connect your device.

In that same folder as above, there's an executable file called Loader (has a little phone next to it). Double click on that and it will start loading your new OS.

Please post back if you have questions!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor
jeni225

Thank you. I will try when I get home from work later. Jeni
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56

Okay, keep us posted!  :smileyhappy:

New Contributor
jeni225

Weird the error message when I press my text icon has suddenly gone. I didn't do anything. Thx for your advise though Boomer56.