Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Att

second RIM phone with inop battery charger

I have a Blackberry Torch  with  an inoperable battery charger. This appears to be a common problem because I have an older 8820 model with the same problem.

Is it better to just give in and buy an iphone, or can RIM fix the problem?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: second RIM phone with inop battery charger

Giving in and buying an iPhone is trading one problem for another; iPhones are less than perfect (despite what everyone thinks).

How are you charging your phone?  Are you using the supplied charger and plugging it in to a wall outlet?  If your answer is not "yes", then that's your problem.  You need to use the SUPPLIED charger plugged in to a WALL OUTLET.  (I'm not using capitals to yell, just to highlight the important points.)

Please post back with your response to whether you're charging in that fashion or not.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10-STL100-4
My Carrier: Verizon

Even if you had to buy a new charger they are less than $12 on eBay or Amazon .
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
Elite II

I'm still waiting for Daschi to confirm how he/she is charging the phone.  A car charger or USB charger will not work as well as a wall charger supplied by RIM.  We first have to make sure proper charging techniques are being used.

Cheers.   :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

You did not read the message. The problem is the phone not the charger, as confirmed by ATTm
Elite II

Daschi wrote:

........with  an inoperable battery charger.

I'm still waiting on word of how you charge your phone.  It's a proven fact that USB and car charging do not work as well as a wall outlet.  It could even be something in your OS but we need to know how you're charging your phone.  

And yes, I did read the message.  The problem appears to be with charging the phone, hence my questions about your charging technique.
Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

New Contributor

Charger sent with phone, ATT store quick charger and chargers I have that fit this phone. All true with the 8820.
Elite II

Daschi wrote:
Charger sent with phone, ATT store quick charger and chargers I have that fit this phone. All true with the 8820.

We've now established what charger(s) you're using but we don't know what you're plugging the charger(s) in to: Wall outlet, USB charger or car charger.  Believe it or not, that answer will determine how we proceed with this thread.

I feel I'm not getting through to you with the correct questions so I'll leave this thread to another member to answer.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

New Contributor

My chargers are both USB and direct to the wall plug.The AT&T store had a quick charge that plugged into the wall and directly to the Torch.

The problem is not in the charger but in the phone. I had a similar problem with the 8800 and just charged it off to old age, but now i am thinking differently. When charging, the phone lies idle on a file cabinet unless I am transfering data to my PC. Then it is lying on the desktop.

I thought the 8800 may have been caused by dropping the phone, but I think it is more than coincidental that I experienced the same problem on the Torch.