Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
owencheung2012
My Device: 9810

the video I took cannot watch in PC computer

I took some video in my blackberry 9810, when I use usb copy or desktop manager to import to my PC, but the video cannot watch, I can watch the vide on the 9810 device. Pls help to solve the issue, Thanks a lot!

The encrypt is on when I took the video, I tried to turn off and then move the video to another folder and copy/import to my PC, it still no work.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: the video I took cannot watch in PC computer

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Here's some info on transferring encrypted media files from the Blackberry Desktop guide,

Using encryption and content protection on the Blackberry can have some serious performance drawbacks. I've attached a reference link as well.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Blackberry desktop software v7.0

'You can now synchronize and import encrypted media files from your BlackBerry® smartphone. Encrypted media files aren't supported on the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet.
If you're synchronizing or importing encrypted media files from a smartphone that has encryption turned on, you must keep encryption turned on to continue using the BlackBerry® Desktop Software. If you turn off encryption and want to continue using the media features, you need to delete encrypted media from your smartphone.
If your smartphone has built-in media storage that is smaller than 128 MB, you can import encrypted media to your computer, but you'll need to use the files feature to copy files from your computer to your smartphone."

KB19371 BlackBerry smartphones with content protection and memory cleaner turned on may experience slow performance

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
owencheung2012

Thanks! But I turned of the encrypt and it has no the lock showed beside the file name.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

Does your video file show an extension of  .rem?

Here's the part of the article I thought was relevant:

"If you're synchronizing or importing encrypted media files from a smartphone that has encryption turned on, you must keep encryption turned on to continue using the BlackBerry® Desktop Software. If you turn off encryption and want to continue using the media features, you need to delete encrypted media from your smartphone."

KB31506 How to save or copy encrypted files from the media card in a BlackBerry smartphone to a computer

When Encryption is enabled for the Media Card in a BlackBerry smartphone the files will have a .rem extension appended to the file. Encrypted files copied from the media card of the BlackBerry smartphone to a computer will not be able to be opened on the computer.

Encrypted files on the media card which are copied to the computer are still encrypted on the computer. Since the files can only be decrypted by the BlackBerry smartphone, the files are unable to be opened on the computer.

"Using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1, encrypted files may be copied from the media card of the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.

During the copy process, the files stored on the computer will be decrypted by the BlackBerry Desktop Software."

To copy Media Card files to the computer with BlackBerry Desktop Software:

1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Software
  2. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
  3. In the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click on the Files icon
  4. Within the Files window of the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click the BlackBerry icon and double click Media Card from the list.
  5. Files and folders displayed within the BlackBerry Desktop Software can now be selected and copied to the computer.

The BlackBerry Desktop Software will perform decryption on the files which may cause the copy process to take longer than expected.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
owencheung2012

No, The file has mp4 extension only but not rem.

New Contributor
owencheung2012

I can play the video using another tools, but cannot play in windows media player and realplayer. Don't know why?

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you dont have the proper codec installed

best way might be to install VLC to play them if not running windows 7

http://www.videolan.org/

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
owencheung2012

I am using windows 7 but some video can play using mediaplayer but some cannot, dont' know why?

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

does it work in VLC?

are all these vids in mp4?

i had some 3gp ones that needed quicktime to play

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

sc081018
My Device: Z10

I have the same problem, except I found out why. My Blackberry is supplied by my employer. By policy, my SD card is encrypted. If I connect my bb to my computer via usb I m prompted for my BB login info. Once done, all is well and I can copy files from bb to my computer using Windows explorer. Files copied this way work fine.

However, I was unaware that by taking the SD card out of the BB and inserting it into the reader on my computer it causes problems. I was still able to copy the files via Windows Explorer however.... the videos do not play. I have concluded that this is because they are still encrypted. Unfortunately now, even if I copy the files back to the BB (they are no longer on my BB) they do not play. I further assume this is because the BB cannot decrypt them any longer.

My question is... is there any way to recover (decrypt) these videos now that the SD card has been physically removed and reinserted. I do recall that when I reinserted the SD card, the BB stated that encryption was going to begin in 5 minuts, and that process consequently to about an hour.

Any chance of recovering these files?? Thanks!